• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

22-250 Varmint, 75 or 85

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

fxol

Hi There,

Looking at 4 versions of the same calibre and after people's thoughts.

Do you guys favour the 75 over the 85? I know the 75 holds more appeal in some camps, but not sure why. Trawling the web,there seems to be as many pros and cons for either. I've never owned a 75, but have owned three 85's and looking to add another. The 75 I'm looking at is almost new, with a nice piece of walnut and traditional blued finish, while the 85's are new and can be had in walnut/blued, laminate/stainless.

Appreciate your help.

Frank
Australia.

Most here are more oriented to the older L & A series Sakos, so hopefully someone with 75 & 85 knowledge & interest will chime in. About all I know is that the 85 has had some issues with ejection. Empty cases hitting the scope turrets & falling back in the action & most of the guys having this problem are "not happy campers" as Beretta has not been helpful. I have not heard of any issues with the 75.

Thanks Paulsonconstruction. All Sako roads lead here for info on this brand so fingers crossed!
I'm aware of the ejection problems, luckily mine have been ok. I'm just hoping to understand the key differences between the two models before I decide on one of them.

Hi Fxol
I had a 75 varmint in 22-250 and I currently have a 85 varmint in 22-250
Both rifles shot/ shoot very well ..from memory difference is with the bolt/action
Re ejection issues I have 2 85's both have no problems
I personally prefer the 85 as it's available in the classic Sako checkering !
Fyi.. The varmint is also available in oz in a walnut /stainless
Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark. Beyond the checkering, do you see any advantages of one over the other?

Hi Fxol
For me no difference / advantage other than asthetics ..For hunting both rifles preformed as I needed.....
found this on the Net re differences between 85 and 75,
I assume that it is factual;??

The principal features of the 85 are:

NEW - Controlled round feeding. Based on the time tested Model 75 three lug bolt the Model 85 maintains the best features of the Model 75 while adding positive controlled round feeding. Compared to other actions with controlled round feed the Sako 85 three lug bolt head offers 10 to 40% more surface area.

NEW - Lengthened Rear Bolt Guide. Makes an already smooth action even smoother. Typically the shorter the action the more susceptible it is to bolt bind due do decreased bearing surface area. The lengthened Rear Bolt Guide of the Model 85 eliminates the possibility of bolt bind when bolt is functioned fast and hard, particularly important in the very popular WSM length action.

NEW - Total Control Magazine Latch. The TCM Latch makes it all but impossible to lose a magazine due to the magazine latch accidentally being bushed. The new TCM Latch requires slight upward pressure on the magazine at the same time the magazine latch is being pushed, easily accomplished with a cold hand, to release the magazine.

NEW - Synthetic Stock Models, FinSoft Recoil Disipating Butt Pad. Unique to the synthetic stock models the FinSoft Butt Pad system incorporates integral soft, hollow fins that collapse to absorb and redirect the recoil force down, away from the shooter's cheek.

NEW - Sculptured Receiver Profile. The receiver and bolt shroud profiles have been sculptured, reducing the weight of the affected parts and enhance their appearance.
Also,

One other difference between the 2 is the 85 has an integral recoil lug machined into the action. The 75's recoil lug is bolted to the action

Hope this is of some help
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for going to the trouble of researching your reply, much appreciated. The more I look at it, the more I come to the conclusion ( in the absence of any other advice which may still come... ) that there's not much between them and personal preference will sway me one way or the other. The only nagging doubt I have is the why the 75 is held in higher esteem than the 85, especially on the secondhand market...... No biggy though.

I've owned an 85 varmint 22-250 and probably wish I hadn't sold it. I replaced it with a 1:12 twist Steyr Pro Varmint 22-250 - attracted by the idea of dumping 70gr speer pills downrange with ease which it does - but finally settling on a 55gr Sierra load, so no advantage with the twist rate! All good fun though and the Steyr is a shooter.

I also own an 85 VLS 243 with the 20inch MT barrel which is a very accurate rifle and no ejection issues.

Thanks again.

Frank.

Hi fxol,
Marks reply, as you said is well researched. Good one Mark!
I think it boils down to personal preference, things as simple as the 'old' style checkering pattern could be enough to make a choice on these two models. Have you guys seen the 85's Cabelas offer wearing the 'Finnbear' stocks ? Only available to the US market though
unfortunately.
I can't comment on the 85's myself but the ejection issues with the long actions
are enough to sway my choice if looking at one of these action lengths.
I only own one 75 which has been a trouble free workhorse for a number of years now. The detachable magazine is handy and I've never had it fall out unexpectedly, though I guess the new model is only an improvment.
All the best with your decision.

Hi Frank
I am pretty sure nearly all the 75s were made pre Beretta the 85s were first model released under Beretta this May be the reason?
Good luck with the decision ..it's a nice one to have to make :)

Regard Mark

I have had a heavy barrel Sako 75 in .223 for several years (only because I can't find a Bofors Steel HB .223 for my collection) and I can't say enough good things about the 75. When I'm shooting well I've had other shooters at the range gather round to see the one hole targets. I'm always proud to be shooting a Sako, whether one of my Bofors Steel Sakos or this particular Sako 75. (I'd like to add this note: This winter I bought a walnut stocked Tikka T3 Hunter in .223 because I didn't want to take my Bofors Steel sporters out coyote hunting on the snow machine, and that Tikka is just as accurate. So, I would not hesitate to consider the walnut stocked Tikka Hunter ($650 shipped) if cost was a factor in your decision. The Tikka has a cold hammer forged Sako barrel, and that's why it shoots like a Sako!)

You asked about the Sako 85, and I'm sorry I can't help you at all there.

Thank you Mark for your thorough post on the Sako 85 and for what I was able to learn from you.

Good shooting, Good hunting!

I have 3x 75s they are a way better rifle than the 85. The stock is the main one, especially on the varmint, its got a bigger cheekpiece and palm swell, and a wider forend. The 85 seems really slim where as the 75 has a much more solid feel.

The magazine length for each different action size is longer on the 75, so you can run longer projies. Not a fan of the magazine release on the 85 either.
Its as though Sako were trying to do a bit of cost cutting with the newer model 85, smaller this, thinner that..

The action on the 75 feels much mor crisp and smooth to me. My friend bought an 85 and he said its definately not as good a rifle as his 75.

The 75s are held in high regard and still fetch big bucks second hand.

Thanks mate, have seen your gear on one of our Aussie forums.
I have owned an 85 varmint in 22-250 and I currently have a 20 inch 243 in the varm lam s / steel - great gun to use.

I'm looking at a 75 in 22-250

It's a varmint.

Muzzle blast on the shorter barrel isn't as bad as you'd think. At least not for me. I find my Steyr pro varmint in 22-250 is just as noisy and plenty of blast from that one.

I have both models and to tell you the truth, the 85 has a much better trigger from the factory. I have never had an issue with any of the guns.
I have never seen such a smooth trigger from the factory as the 85 has, it is even better than a Jewell or a Timney. Accuracy is equal on all of them.
The biggest difference I have seen between the 75 and 85 is the magazine release. The 85 you have to push up against the mag to get it to release, where the 75 all you have to do is hit the release. I like the idea of the preload on the 85 for a hunting rifle, no chance of the mag being released accidently.

I agree with you Vince - the 85's are a pleasure to shoot. Not much between them but enough for the 75 to hold it's value a little better.

That's right, the 75s are pretty sought after, they get snapped up very quick. In Australia, I reckon a 75 varmint staino 223 is one of the most desired rifles in the land. They come on usedguns and are sold in minutes. Ive seen about 5 of them for sale in the last 5 years. I bought mine on there about 3 years ago, new in box. Paid $2300 for it.

Hi Fxol. Can't speak specifically about the 22-250 Varmints but gave a comparison between my 75 and 85 Finnlight WSMs in this post

http://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/75-finnlight-or-85-finnlight-in-300wsm-or-300-win-mag.7788/

Since then I have used the 85 more than the 75 and have added a 260 Finnlight .

With the WSMs one major difference between the 75 and 85 is in the throat length, the 85 being around 5mm shorter in the SM action which if you reload means that you can seat the bullets closer to the lands and still fit the magazine. The WSM uses the SM action and the 260 and 22-250 (?) the S action. I find you can also seat the 260 close to the lands and still fit the magazine though it seems to like a small (0.8mm) jump.

Also on both my 85s I had a problem with the dovetails not being aligned vertically, making it difficult to mount a scope using Sako Ringmounts. See my thread

http://sakocollectors.com/forum/thr...unt-dovetails-on-new-sako-85-finnlights.8491/

From responses on this forum this seems to be a not uncommon problem with 85s. It can be checked easily with a straightedge.

Another major difference between the two is the recoil lug. The 75 has a conventional lug but the 85 has an L-shaped floating lug. The L-shaped lug seems like a good idea but does not appear to work that well in practice and I prefer the conventional system as being more solid and reliable. On my lightweight Finnlights I often get double grouping with a 4 shot group at 100 yds or, in a 3 shot group, 2 touching and one flyer. The overall group size is generally sub MOA but the flyers are annoying as we often spot deer at 300 to 400 yds and can't afford flyers. An experienced gunsmith/long-range shooter told me this is a not uncommon problem with the 85 especially the Finnlights with their fluted barrels. (Not a problem, presumably with the Varmints). It can sometimes be fixed by a complete bedding job, sometimes by stress relieving the fluted barrel and sometimes not at all!. When he beds an 85 he replaces the lug completely and reverts to a conventional system. Another difference is that the 75 action has a flat base whereas the sides of the 85 action are tapered slightly, helping it to retain its position in the stock after each shot.

Just my thoughts. Hope they help. - David

Back