• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L461 "Bofors Steel" marked .223 Rem

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

yes, any older and clean .223 can be a hard find. Does anyone have a Bofors marked full stock model or heavy barrel model in .223 ?

DeerGoose

Great Rocky!!!

you can really find 'em my friend. More power to ya !......they only made a handful of Bofors fullstocks in .223. The rarest of the rare, I do believe. Is yours a carbine or full rifle length barrel? I've got one in 24" bbl, and if memory serves it was built in 1970 and came in via Canada. No Bofors on this one. I think I've gotten a couple in .223 by way of Canada. I do know I picked up a heavy bbl model and sporter in NJ and PA, years ago when I was traveling to the Northeast quite a bit for work.

DeerGoose

very, very cool!.....and ultra rare. They only made a few dozen of them worldwide in pre-Garcia configuration. I bet yours is one of only a few, less than 20 made or so is my bet in Carbine Bofors. Wow.

DeerGoose

Wow, i have always wondered if these ever existed!
You know i have to ask Rocky, do you own the HB bofors as well?
All three of the hardest ones to find!
Very nice indeed.
L-46

I've seen quite a number more Bofors-marked .22-250's than Bofors-marked .223's. This is despite the commercial introduction by Remington of the .223 in 1964 followed by the .22-250 in 1965 (source is Wikipedia, but I've check against other sources and they're right). In fact, I own both a standard Bofors sporter and a Deluxe Bofors sporter in .22-250, but am yet to come across a Bofors .223. From this, and other anecdotal evidence, I have to conclude there just aren't as many of the .223's.

So, if the .223 preceded the .22-250 as a commercial cartridge, why wasn't Sako also chambering the .223 earlier and thus have made more of them with Bofors barrels?

Perhaps it has something to do with Browning offering the .22-250 as a wildcat cartridge in the Safari in 1963 (again, according to Wiki). Since Sako was building the Browning Safari barreled actions, they would have been chambering the .22-250 even before it was a commercially standardized cartridge. And once Remington announced their .22-250, Sako would have been in a position to start cranking them out immediately. On the other hand, it appears that Sako waited and watched a while before deciding to add the .223 to its line of chamberings, maybe not being sure whether it would survive the competition from having both a larger (.222 Rem Mag) and smaller (.222 Rem) on either side of it on the same case head.

This is just speculation on my part. And Sako ain't sayin'. . .

SC,
My conclusion as well, the 223 Bofors is a rare bird, never seen over here.
The 222Mag in Europe was very well established and favored round, with many rifle makers chambering in it.
In Aust and NZ the 222 was a favorite long into the 80's. I bet the 222 has accounted for more game over here than any other cartridge!
I can remember in the '90's swapping from the deuce to the 223 for a short time and then back to the deuce again. It was not till the late 90's i chambered a barrel in 223AI and never looked back.
Possibily the '250 was more readily accepted being a wildcat on the well know 250 savage, and the 223 being a new design and had to gain popularity among hunters.

L-46

'bout the same here, Scott.....but I give a slight nod to the -250 for availability. I'm missing a Bofors fullstock in -250, have all the rest. But, I'm missing Bofors .223s in fullstock and Heavy Barrel. Have the deluxe and sporter only.

My question is this: Where are all the .375s? In my opinion, a good clean older .375 in ANY configuration is just as hard to find as any of them.

DeerGoose

Sako may have been holding up production of the 223 for a year or so after 1964 to see how many barrels of different caliber Browning was going to order from Sako. Browning decided to go to Sako for the 284W, 243W, 308W, 222, 222 Mag and 22-250. Browning decided to not produce the 223. I'm glad that Sako decided to go ahead with the 223 in their line. It's a pity that Browning dropped the Sako Browning and the FN rifles from their line in 1976.

It's a pity that Browning dropped the Sako Browning and the FN rifles from their line in 1976. -- douglastwo

Indeed it is.

In the fall of 1976 a modest bit of good financial fortune had fallen on me, so I had the luxury of a bit of indulgence uncommon for a young family man. Just by chance, someone in the family had brought home a copy of the Lubbock (TX) Avalanche-Journal in which the J.C. Penney store, of all places, had an advertisement closing out their Browning Safaris for $349.

Our son had just been born the year before, so I thought I might buy him a keepsake. We dashed off to Lubbock, about 125 miles away, with cash in hand, to buy, hopefully, a pencil barrel .243 for him -- the perfect rifle for a young shooter.

When we got to the store the clerk in the sporting goods section told me that he was sorry, but he only had one caliber left -- .243! But he had "several" of them. "Well, might I look through some of them to select the wood I like best?" Sure, no problem, was the reply.

He took me into the stock room where, to my astonishment, I was overwhelmed with about two dozen long black boxes with gold lettering. I sorted through enough of them to get a little embarrassed with my greediness, so finally settled on an especially nice one from among the first half-dozen.

Well, of course my son grew up knowing that the gun in the black box with gold lettering was his special gun, which he could shoot when he was ready. But I urged him not to shoot it until he was big enough that the stock need not be cut. Ironically, by the time he was that big he was already a pretty well-experience deer hunter (using a cut-down Remington) and wanted something bigger than a .243. Thus, since he had access to a number of fine hunting rifles, including by that time his own Sako Deluxe .30-06, his Safari was never shot. So when he was about 20 he found a particular item he wanted more than his Browning and I arranged to sell it for him for about three times what I had paid.

I've never had too much regret about losing the little Safari. It was just too pretty and seemingly delicate to shoot so would have languished in its box for decades, a fate no fine rifle should meet.

Neat story Stonecreek. The story about Penneys doesn't surprise me. I grew up in Odessa in the 60's and the Walgreens store there was the absolute best gun store you can imagine. Every model Sako with duplicates to chose from. And all the Brownings you dream of. That's where in 1962 I purchased my first 7mm mag, a Remington 700 BDL for a discounted price of $117. I think they told me it was the first 7 mag in Odessa. The guys on our Ozona deer lease couldn't believe how big the 7 mag round looked.

My father-in-law bought a Browning BAR .270 at Dillards, a department store where you now mostly go for eye make-up and designer sneakers, in Austin around the mid-1970's. Times do change.

Latest posts

Back