• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What screw thread gauge

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

marlin92

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what brand, type, pitch, or range of screw thread gauge would be best to purchase to properly determine the threads on the older SAKO screws.
Is it just a standard metric gauage that would be needed and one that would measure from .25 upward, and the 60 degree pitch?

Thanks for any insight you could lend.

Still looking for some advice on best thread gauge to determing SAKO threads on screws, bolts.
Any knowledge would be welcomed.
thanks

All the screws I've dealt with on Sakos (that hasn't been too many) have been ISO fine thread, so any gauge set up for ISO metric threads should work.

marlin, This may be a simple way to find out the metric thread size , If you have an ACE hardware close by they carry an assortment of small metric screws and nuts and you could just take the screws there and find the nut size and voila you have the size. I do know the size of the scope ring screws for the older traditional split ring mounts that Tracy had made up for us and that size is ( m3.5 x .6 x 6) they would most likely not have any that size as it kind of an odd ball. Anyway it may work for you and be worth a try. I am sure there are many other places that carry metric hardware too. I'll also take this opportunity to thank Tracy again for having those screws made, they were a huge benefit to all of us. Jim

marlin, This may be a simple way to find out the metric thread size , If you have an ACE hardware close by they carry an assortment of small metric screws and nuts and you could just take the screws there and find the nut size and voila you have the size. I do know the size of the scope ring screws for the older traditional split ring mounts that Tracy had made up for us and that size is ( m3.5 x .6 x 6) they would most likely not have any that size as it kind of an odd ball. Anyway it may work for you and be worth a try. I am sure there are many other places that carry metric hardware too. I'll also take this opportunity to thank Tracy again for having those screws made, they were a huge benefit to all of us. Jim

Thanks guys I appreciate the input - I'm definitely not a machinist so I just didn't know if any metric thread gauge would work or if there was a special one I needed. I actually have tried taking the screws to Lowes/Home Depot and matching them but didn't have a whole lot of luck but never tried Ace. Thanks Tracy I'll pick one of the Snap On gauges.
Again thanks to all
larry

I was missing some screws from the receiver dove bases for a P72 in .22lr. I purchased some on eBay..size m3.5 X .6. Was able to mount some older Weaver bases and now have scope mounted. I invested in a relatively inexpensive thread gauge, metric, on Amazon and for less than $15 was very satisfied. My Ace Hardware could not match/replace the proper screw size. I did not want to have receiver drilled and tapped for SAE screws. Still looking for the proper dove bases that were supplied by factory although I might have a better shot at finding Bigfoot. Only complaint about Sako rimfire is the lack of literature/resources available, even with the Internet, to owners of the older models..P 72 and M 78 in my case. Good luck marlin92!

Better late than never. Simple gauges for measure SEA & metric thread pitches. Match the thread pitch with the gauge then measure the diameter of the screw (over the threads) with dial calipers. Then multiple the decimal diameter of the screw X 25.4 to get the metric bolt size.

upload_2019-1-21_12-57-35.png

Latest posts

Back