• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 85 varmint 22-250

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sako 22 250

image.jpg
Hi all
I am a new member , attached is a pic of my latest Sako a 22-250 varmint it shoots as well as my first and favourite sako ( vixen L461 222 varmint) looking forward to learn more about these wonderful rifles from this forum
Regards Mark

image.jpg The scope is a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50 its my first Zeiss on my other 2 Sakos I had Pecars the optics are great I have attached 2 pics one of the scope the other the first three shots I had sighting in the scope @ 100 yd range it's a keeper

Hi Slancey
I am using factory loads
As its a new gun I used Sako 50g gameheads for the first 20 shots ...........the first 3 were the best grouping I have ever shot better ever than any with my Vixen 222 (I was lucky that day)
I have tried Hornady V max 50g , Winchester 55g softpoints ,Highland 55g & Federal 55g power shok see attched pic more than happy with these at $19.00 a box its great value
The pic shows 4 shots at 1'' high @ 100yds then 3 clicks up on the Zeiss for the next 4 shots (I wanted it zero for 250yds ) as I was going long range bunny busting at a mates property that weekend
Sako & Federal are giving me the best results
regards Mark

Attachments

• fed.JPG
    fed.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The 50 and 55 grain bullets in the 22-250 will really put the hurt on our coyotes. You probably have some varmint animals that weigh 20-40 pounds. Your Sako and Zeiss combination will be effective on them indeed!

Hi Slancey
We dont have Coyotes ....but Victoria must be the fox capital of the world ....we often see them in our yard at home and we live in the S/E suburbs of Melbourne ,we also have wild dog s (dingos cross bred with domestic breeds ) these give our sheep farmers big problems as they hunt in packs some of these grow as big as German shepherds the state goverment is currently running a bounty on foxs and wild dogs $10 fox scalp $70 for a wild dog scalp
regards Mark

Last edited:
I guess we're way off topic, but I wonder if you can call dingos like you can fox or coyotes.
Do you reload? If your Sako shoots the factory ammo that well, you could probably find a handload that would really impress you and the dingos!
I found a handload with the gun below that gave me my personal best group at 100 yards: .144" for 5 shots, as near as I could measure. It was also the highest velocity load for that gun, an L46 in .222 Rem Mag. I burned out two barrels on that one showing prairie dogs the meaning of life!

8453246288_851c340c27_c.jpg

8452156733_babb1d0376_c.jpg

That is one very nice L46 , accurate gun as well with that grouping size ,great colour thanks for posting ...what power is the Leopold? .. Unfortunately I gave a away my hand loading equipment a few years ago to a relative ,my .222 loved them , how much further range did you get with the rem mag over the std . 222?.as for calling dingoes/ wild dogs I don't know , I will find out, from my own experience they are a lot more cautious than foxes, I spend most of my time in the field whistling foxes my mate as a shotgun he takes the close shots and the 22 250 the long ones
regards Mark

Last edited:
Hi Plodalong,I am very happy with it, good in the field , I will often get it out of the safe at home and just sit and look at it , my wife thinks it strange that I do this !
regards Mark

That's a Leupold fixed 12X. It was all we needed for prairie dogs out west. I had a twin to this one re-barelled to 6mm TCU, which is just a .223 Rem with a sharp shoulder opened up to .243".
The .222 Rem. Mag was in its glory from about 225 to 275 yards. Beyond that it ran out of steam. It only adds about 150 fps more for 50 grain bullets than the .222 Rem. Maybe it adds 25 yards to the effective range.

Nice scope , thanks for the info on the 222 rem mag.. I was told years ago that fixed power scopes are more accurate , I have just changed to a variable so I guess I will find out , I have missed a few foxes when whistling lately when they pop up close and I cant find them straight away when on 12 x !!guess I need to practice having both eyes open .

Update...... image.jpg image.jpg I have had my varmint 85 22-250 for just over 2 years now
have recently upgraded the scope ( Zeiss Victory ht 3-12 x 56 as I do a lot of spotlighting with this rifle ) it's has been a cracker of a rifle ,Only issue I had was lack of up adjustment on the scope and that was rectified by my local gunsmith,
As I don't reload ....my factory load of choice is the Hornady 50g v-max .
My son easily group 5 shots under one 1 inch at 100 yds, I can also on a good day!
I have made a good dent if the feral popution in the Victorian high country
I have been that happy with it I have bought image.jpg another one ( 85 varmint stainless 243)
Regards Mark

Was able to go for a hunt on the weekend to try new scope
On Sunday morning as we were walking back from a spot were some fallow had been sighted during the week ,I noticed a fox making a hasty retreat about 100m ahead of us , It took 2 blows of the fox whistle for the vixen to stop and look back The 50g 22-250 hit low in the neck
It made it a good walk
Ps more than happy with the HT

Mark image.jpg

Nice one Mark. That is a slick looking outfit and seems to shoot really well too. Good to see it is out and causing a dent in the feral numbers.

Apparently you can call in wild dogs by howling. I am not sure on the details, but it sounds more like using your own vocal chords rather than using a hand held predator call.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/hunting-wild-dogs.html#.VWOKGt0mKrU

Marcus
Marcus
I am very happy with it!
One of my mates work as a Dogman with the DEPI he has called them in by howling
I have had dogs howl back a the coyote call on my cass creek caller
unfortunatly none have come in close enough for a shot!
Mark

Nice one Mark. That is a slick looking outfit and seems to shoot really well too. Good to see it is out and causing a dent in the feral numbers.

Apparently you can call in wild dogs by howling. I am not sure on the details, but it sounds more like using your own vocal chords rather than using a hand held predator call.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/hunting-wild-dogs.html#.VWOKGt0mKrU

Marcus
Marcus Thanks for the videos.....
I have learnt a bit more about wild dogs over the last 2 years
One of my mates now has a job with the Depi on wild dog control trapping and shooting.. He has taught me a bit ..hoping to get out and work with him one day
I will give howling try next time I am up the high country
The property I shoot on has lost 30 odd sheep to dogs in the last few months
Owner would be very happy if we could bowl over a dog or 2
Cheers
Mark

Back