• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L579 .243 Load Data

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

David Henzler

45 grains of IMR-4350 & a Nosler 70gr Zipedo shoot same hole groups. I have loaded some Sierra 75gr with similar results.

Where did you get hold of any Nosler Zippedos? Those have been out of production for at least 30 years. They were fine bullets, however. I killed two Texas whitetail does with a single shot from a .22-250 using a Nosler Zippedo 55 grain. It went through the necks of both deer and both flopped on the ground in their tracks.

One of my shooting buddies gave me 6½ boxes of them back in the mid 70's. I had great luck with them, and have been careful to save some for busting varmints. I recently called on Rudy Knightlinger (small group champion of a few years) and asked what bullet he would recommend to replace the Zipedo. He suggested the Sierra 75gr blitzking. I bought some and loaded them over the same powder charge. He was right. they shot very nicely. My wife has a L579 Deluxe and shot 4 in the same hole, then blew the group after I had her look at it through the spotting scope... got nervous and put one half an inch out.

What I find amazing is how repeatable results are between similar sakos.

I've had good luck with the 70 grain Blitzkings. I was using 70 grain Ballistic Tips when I picked up a couple of hundred of the similar Blitzkings at an unexpected bargain. I found that in my Browning Safari HB .243 they shot to exactly the same POI as the Noslers, so there was no need to adjust the load. It was a rare instance in which you could take two of one bullet and three of the other and shoot a group just as tight as with five of the same bullet. Just shot up the last of these Blitzkings last week.

But I'd trade either bullet in a heartbeat for the old Zippedos.

Yeah, agreed the Sierra BK's shoot well.

I have a few more weeks before I'll be given the green light to shoot. Just had back surgery 3 weeks ago. Another 3 or 4 to go I fear. Hopefully it won't get too hot. It'd be nice to have a mild summer.

I hear a lot of guys on here that seem to think 1" is good. With any of my Sako's if it doesn't shoot half that I'm irritated. Most of the time it's one hole. Can be stretched a bit one way or another, but still all touching with exception of that cold barrel shot.

Well, most Sakos are used as hunting rifles, so that first "cold barrel shot" is the very most important one. Striving for good groups is useful for target shooting and varminting, but having confidence in where that first shot from a cold barrel will go is tantamount in importance for a game hunter.

I like to sight in my hunting rifles over two days -- or at least in two sessions an hour or more apart. The first session is for placing the center of the group at your desired zero point. The second session is simply to check how close the first shot from a cold barrel is to the desired center. I've seen rifles which grouped well, but almost always placed the cold shot well out of the group. I'd rather have a hunting rifle which grouped not quite so well but placed the first shot near the middle of the group.

In a related issue, I try to assure that I never hunt with a rifle with a freshly cleaned barrel unless it has had a couple of "fouler" shots down the bore. Actually, rather than fouling the bore, the first couple of shots scrub the residue from cleaning chemicals or oils out of the bore. "Fouling" shots often land wide of the desired zero.

True enough. If I were to be hunting Big Horn Sheep and taking 300+ yard shots, you bet I'd do the same. However compared to most shooter's ability to "hold" the cold barrel is seldom out of group more than 1 MOA, and generally half of that. So as much as we'd like to think we can shoot the eye out of an Antelope at 350 yards, it's more likely we'd be getting within 3" of our point of aim. Unless that is you have a tripod and can stop your heart.

Don't get me wrong. I have shot cottontails at 350 yards with my 243, but exactly where I hit the animal will never be known. When you arrive at the scene it's just bits of fur and meat.

I had a custom 280 built on a Golden Bear action. Couldn't bring myself to sacrafice a SAKO. But with a 26" Douglas Supreme Heavy Varminter barrel, and the good work of Fred Huntington's own gunsmith in Oroville CA. I have a rifle that shoots same point of impact cold or hot. Cleaned it shoots 1" high first shot at 100 yds. It was my answer to having a 7mm Mag. The extra barrel length gives me 100 + fps more velocity burning the same amount of powder. I've never loaded it up much. Shoots one ragged hole with 53gr of 4831 and a 160gr Sierra Spitzer BT.

Unfortunately my hunting days are behind me. I'm 69 and not in the peak of health. Need to loose about 40 lbs and that alone is a big job. I hunt clay targets once a week with my buddies in the North 40
20150505_112231_resized.jpg

1 sako forester pre garcia 39.5 Grains IMR 4895, 75 gr Sierra HP varminter, Rem 9 1/2, Rem case, trim 2.030 single hole groups
1 sako Custom delux pre garcia 38.5 Grains IMR 4895, 75 Grain Sierra HP Varminter, CCI 200 Rem Case Trim 2.040 same groups. COL depends on gun throat.
Charge pressures depends on Gun start at least 10% below.

Ohhh! Thanks for the loading data... When you say "1 sako Custom deluxe pre-Garcia", do you mean it's a non SAKO barrel? Interesting... I've noticed that the European rifles have slightly different bore dimensions than say a Remington 700. So perhaps the one grain lower makes sense due to tighter bore. When the Finns make a 6mm barrel it's 6mm. When we make one it's almost 6mm Ha ha!

I never got into 4895 powder... and it's too late for me to do so now. but I have friends who use it, and may load 10 rounds to see how it shoots in my Foresters. I have three now... When I see a nice one for a decent price I just buy it. I have two Deluxe, and one standard.

Working on a webview of my collection... Many of which are stored in canvas bags in my vault. It's a nice way to have a look at them without the fuss, and good documentation in case of theft. Lots more photos to take, and edit... it's a labor of love.

http://24.172.105.90/guns/sakos/index.html

Latest posts

Back