• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 .222 sporter - what is the verdict fellow Aussies?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Branxhunter

So I have found this rifle in a local gunshop, but is it worth $1,300 (Aus)? I know this question usually gets the "it is worth what someone wants to pay for it" answer. Through following SCC I have a reasonable idea on what this might fetch in the U.S. but no idea of how the asking price rates in the Australian market. Deersako, Top gear??

I am no expert on Sakos, but isn't this stock style more like the later L461s? It had a number of small marks/compression dents but no serious dings. There was some slight dark streaks through the timber

As you can see it has a front sight, but I didn't notice any rear sight on the barrel - is this unusual? Boots steel marking on the barrel.

The boltface looked good - used, but not pitted. The bore was a little too dirty to clearly see whether there were any pits or erosion.

Magazine floor plate marked with "Cal .222" - this means it is an original magazine?

Rings look to be Leupold, and I think it was a VX II 3.5-10x40 AO scope.

Serial number 525xx

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Marcus

Hi Branxhunter, I'm no expert by a long shot but I'll suggest the scope and rings alone are worth between $450-$500 AU dollars, what I'd be prepared to pay if I was looking anyway.
At 500 bucks that brings that beautiful late model L46 down to $800.00.
A bargain in my opinion and I would snap it up if I were anywhere close to it. :)
On the bolt side, at the start of the barrel, what is that stamp ? Can't quite see it, just before the Bofors stamp.

Run a rod down the barrel, hopefully it's all aok.

Branx

Mate those later L46's weren't much good. They had some sort of inferior steel used......... Better give me the details of where its being sold by PM so I can contact the shop and let them know the issue;)

No like Deeksako mentions it seems like a good deal. May not be that great though if the barrel is no good so I would be getting a rod run through it before purchasing.

As you can see it has a front sight, but I didn't notice any rear sight on the barrel - is this unusual? Boots steel marking on the barrel.

That's right. no rear site, it would have been sold with a peep that goes on the rear dovetail when new. Making should be "Bofors" not "Boots".

Magazine floor plate marked with "Cal .222" - this means it is an original magazine?
Yes - you get both "Cal. 222" as well as ".222 Rem" marked on the original mags.

Not many of these later model L46's around so if you like L46's and want a later run one you have done well to find it.

Cheers John

Hey John, that old boots steel is a real problem. I do have a remedy for it though so Branx, if you pass on it please let me know and I'll get it up and running.

Boots steel - the iPad autocorrect strikes again.

Surely someone can develop some sort of shooting related dictionary plug in/app which would recognise these most important words. Or maybe I should just slow down and read what I have written before I send it......

So these late model L46s are uncommon in Aust, what about elsewhere?

Marcus

I'm not in Australia and can't presume to know the market there, but $1,300 AUD converts to $1,017 USD currently. That would be a more than fair price over here.

Thats a fair price I reckon, and if the barrel was good, i.e. not pitted, then its getting down to be classified as a bargain! If kept clean those barrels last a long long time.

Nice looking 222,
As mentioned a few times, the bore could be pitted, so check that out.
Hope it works out
L-46

So these late model L46s are uncommon in Aust, what about elsewhere?

Not really in Aust., quite a few around and most still out hunting.
but with a pristine bore, they are very hard to find.

If you are serious about buying it, and want to shoot it, ask the shop if you can clean and inspect the bore.
Good luck
L-46

No mate. The shop is around 120km from where I live, and I pass it every 3-4 weeks or so on work related trips. I would like to check the barrel after somepatches were put through it before I dropped the cash.

I'm pretty torn about this one. On one hand it is a beautiful and, to my mind, somewhat uncommon rifle, that from the feedback that everyone has given is priced quite reasonably. It is also likely to at least hold its value.

On the other hand purchase at the moment would be more of a luxury given the various things we have on our plate at the moment (house renovations, need to upgrade our farm ute). I already have two .222's ( an a1 with great timber, and an Anschutz 1532 that is beautifully slim, graceful and very accurate), neither of which I want to sell, nor do I wish to sell any of my other rifles to free up some cash.

So it is with some regret that have made the decision to pass this one over. For any of my fellow Aussies here at SCC the details of the shop are can be found on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/jandashooting

The shop is in Horsham, Victoria.

If you look closely you might even pick it on the bottom row of the photos, about middle of the rack.

If one of you guys do buy it I have one request - if I am every near your locality I would love to have a shot!

Marcus

Well Marcus if you decide to attend the Missathon is September Deersako is just down the road.

Hi Marcus, its in the hands of my transferring dealer, a member here.
I won't get to lay my hands/set eyes on it for a couple of weeks now. :(

Times like this that time really drags, hey?

Really looking forward to seeing a range report. If the stars align I might make it up your way for the September Missathon and hopefully I can have a closer look at it.

Marcus

Back