• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako AIII action in 7mm-08, caliber conversion choices?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The Slo-Man

The Slo-Man
I have just been given a AIII in 7mm-08 and as I already own another Sako in 270 I am looking at a conversion to a larger caliber.

I do not want to get into a conversation about the differences in the 08 and the 270 as that would be splitting hairs.

The rifle is a super deluxe version that comes with two stocks, one after market. The plan at this stage is to use the original stock (still in the oiled paper and original rifle box) and re-barrell to 300 Win Mag. Can I do this and is the AIII action strong enough?

I want a flatter shooting .30 Cal for larger deer species that is capable of 300 meter shots, I know the 7mm range can do this but at times the BC at this range can be marginal under hunting conditions so I always apply the formula of " you can never have too much gun".

I could be wrong with this, but I think the strength of the action is jot the issue, the length of the action would be your problem trying to make your 7-08 to 300 win mag. If you reload and are lookinng for something different then your 7-08 I'm sure there are some wildcat calibers that would be interesting.

The AIII was not chambered in 7-08. Are you sure you don't have an AII? Something doesn't quite make sense here. You can't rebarrel a long action cartridge in a short action rifle. All actions are designed to withstand the same pressure levels that modern cartridges create. You may want to consult a gunsmith.

Agree about several things not adding up. Should be an AII and if you are going to rebarrel a 7mm-08 to a 30 caliber or bigger, you're primary cartridge choices would be .308 (of course), .358 Win, and .338 federal.

Also don't understand your statement about needing a high BC 30 cal bullet for intermediate range shots to 300 meters? Plenty of great 7mm bullets and you don't really see the benefit of higher BC bullets til well beyond 300 meters. Also, 30 cal bullets have to be very heavy to match the BC's of 6.5mm and 7mm bullets, e.g. it would take a 215 gr 30 cal VLD to match the G7 BC of a 180 gr 7mm VLD (just an example).

Last edited:
After rereading your post, I think you may be mis-identifying your rifle. As I said, if it is an AIII it is impossible for it to have been chambered in 7-08. The Model 75 Sako action, however, was stamped with the roman numeral III, without the "A" prefix, to denote the action size that corresponds to the 243, 308, 7-08 size cartridges. Other stampings were I, for smaller rounds, SM for the short magnum rounds, IV for the 30-06 length rounds & V for the long magnums like the 7mm Rem Mag. The AIII is a Model L61R action with the addition of the bolt shroud & is compatible with longer cartridges like the 30-06, 300 Win, etc. If yours is a Model 75 III you would be hard pressed to find a 30 cal alternative (that will fit in the action) that will out perform the 7-08 to 300 yards. In fact, worrying about BC at 300 yards is pointless as the differences are so minute as to be irrelevant.

Just checked with the smith, it is definitely stamped AIII on the left hand side of the receiver. The mod to 7mm/08 is a after market mod by another smith. The rifle has been set up for silhouette.

At the end of the day the action is already blue printed and is currently being taken out at the face to accommodate a 300 Win Mag. It is also being fitted with a 26" Maddco varmint profile fluted S/S barrel (SAMMI chamber) and it will also be fitted with a Terminator T3 muzzle brake. I am planning on using Norma brass with Berger 185gr VLD hunters (see how they fly). Then I am going to shoot 100 camels (I own a feral pest control business).

This project will come under $2 G AUST.

This is differently not a Sako 75 action.

I will post the pics when complete.

Great job Slo,
Sounds like quite a project
Make sure you post some pics of the camels you shoot!
How far do you travel to shoot them
L-46

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing things up, as I was baffled that someone would put a 7mm-08 barrel on a long action AIII. Your choice of caliber should make short work of the Camels. BTW, is 100 the limit on Camels? Do you take clients to help in the culling? You Aussies have all the fun!!!

I just internet searched on camels in Ausie and WOW... I never knew that the camels were such an problem. It appears there are over 1 million of these beasts tearing up the natural habitat. One article I read said that they want to reduce these numbers by 2/3. That is a lot of shooting.

What happens to the meat? I would imagine someone must like the taste of them?

I doubt that camel ribeyes are that great grilled over an applewood fire, but where they are common beasts of burden the meat from both "retired" and young animals is routinely used for human consumption.

How about it, does camel meat ever make it to the Australian dinner table?

Had a dream about being on a camel safari downunder last night. Seems one had to shoot 100 before they were allowed to go home. It was a sweet dream!!! Seriously, does anybody offer Camel shooting trips down there? Are they the one or two hump variety?

I wonder if the toes could be pickled? Hair for sweaters and sportjackets, One could also have the humps seviced by a taxidermist to perhaps make a fine stool or chair. ~Bloo

Ok....all jokes aside...if I had to choose between a pound of cut worm moths or a pound of grilled camel ... I would probably pick the camel. Pass the A 1 sauce and give me another beer...or 2
Any overpopulation of animals could have detrimental ecological effects ..whether it's hogs, goats, cats or ...camels. Pest control is a necessary practice. No different than a US landowner obtaining a permit to take 50 whitetail from his 200 acre hunting property. ..right?~Bloo

Latest posts

Back