• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Road Trip

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

topgear

Sako-addicted
Well I've had a quiet relaxing few days doing a bit of a road trip to pick up a sako that's travelled a long way to meet is new owner! A while back I purchased a L579 .308 Carbine off Rodger see http://www.sakosource.com/sako-full-stock---hb.html , one of the advertisers on this forum. So its been shipped across the US and taken a 30 hour plane ride to land here in Australia and after many months it was time to finally pick her up. (Thanks Rodger its a beauty and for your help in getting it out here). I'll post some more on it when I get it out hunting!

The trip also gave me the opportunity to finally meet member "L-46", see his sako's and get to do a bit of hunting in his neck of the woods. L-46 has a great collection of the old Riihimaki L-46's and I would have said would be one of the best anywhere, however he was also kind enough to organise a quick catch-up with his mate, "Rubicon" who hasn't posted on here for a while (his been busy deep sea fishing so I suppose we can forgive him, but he said he would be back!). I'll have to call it a draw between the two but there certainly was some special sako rifles which you have seen the guys post photo's of at different times on the forum before and was even better to see in the flesh. Rubicon's .218 bee was a real ripper and L-46's mannlicher 7x33 is something to see!

I also took my 7x33 down and went for a quick hunt with L-46 and his mate Russ. Me with the sporter 7x33 and L-46 and Russ with a mannlicher 7x33, both domestic models with birch stocks. Unfortunately, we didn't connect with anything but there was a bit of activity around and Russ managed to throw some lead at a couple of hogs but didn't connect.
pig activity.JPG
I should have got a photo of the two old sako 7x33 out hunting together but didn't think of it - next time. After a bit of spotlighting that night and then admiring more of "L-46's" sako's the next morning I started heading home via one of my hunting properties I have access to that we built a small hut on.
Hut.JPG
You'll see I'm a bit of an environmentalist, all built out of recycled materials:D My kids just call me a tight arse which is probably more correct:p But it sure makes it easy having running hot water and all the gear there. Just rock up, get the rifle out and head off hunting. The country side at this place is full of black berries which are a major weed, but are certainly tasty none the less at this time of year so that was an added bonus for the quick stop off.
Bushtucker.JPG
I only had a short time to get out for a hunt before heading off the next morning so kept the 7x33 theme going and knocked over 27 bunnies with it. A pair below I took home for the pot. The 7x33 proved pretty handy on the bunnies as well as the goats!
7x33 rabbit.JPG

Anyway a BIG thank you to Rodger at "Sako Source" and L-46 for making a great sako road tip!

Cheers John

Last edited:
Nice write up. Thanks for posting.

Rodger is a good guy to deal with. I can give him a high recommendation. The Forester he sold me has already dispatched several coyotes.

Hey TopGear !

You gotta be kiddin' !!! out hunting in the bush with those old Sakos in 7x33, and gathering up 27 bunnies !! those things look like small dogs, compared to our little cottontails here in the eastern side of the USA ! thanks for the story and pics.

DeerGoose

TG,
The trip was equally enjoyable for all involved!
I see the little Riihimaki's venturing out again real soon!

If i can add a little to the hunt,

When Top Gear arrived, mid afternoon, It was nice to finally meet, we spent a few hours discussing Sako's and all things associated, as the evening approached it was time to get out and stretch the legs.

My friend Russ, an avid outdoorsman, and possible Sako convert, soon arrived, after a day in the shop, and having left his only walk around Sako at home, maybe this was planned, was found deliberating on which 7x33 to take out. After much discussion, between the three of us, he decided to take the vintage 7x33 fullwood rather than a Bofors 7x33 or one or two others.
I on the other hand being the host, decided that two guns would be the order for the day.
Being completely under prepared, i was suffering a bad case of influenza, we could not find the 7x33 reloads, so opted for the 1980's factory rounds. No problem we were now set. Russ was handed 10 rounds of 78 gn factory soft points, with some kind advise, 'Don't waste Em!'
We filled some water bottles and headed out like Three Musketeers. After a short walk into some timbered bush land, about 15 minutes had passed we spotted our first prey, by this time TG had sectioned to the right to investigate a gully, a bold rabbit stood upright in front of Russ, at about 25 yds, Russ raised the L46 and boom, we looked in amazement as the dust settled and our prey was gone.
Thinking at the time that buck fever can erupt in any situation and the fact that just the thought of holding such a unique firearm could bring it on, nothing was said.
Just a few more yards where walked when a straggler from the bunch was spotted and boom another shot was dispatched with no result!
Being over twelve months since the last outing i had forgotten that the scope had been mounted but not sighted. Most probably for a photo session!
Never the less we regrouped, unscathed with empty bags, and set plan for the next phase of the hunt. The timber was thinning and we where getting toward more open grasslands so i knew that during daylight hours the prey would swing around and head back toward the bush rather than out into open fields. I knew from previous walks that a fox den was in the area so i advised of such an opportunity.
By this stage TG was going to walk to the right and into another gully and Russ and I would take the left for about a mile and then turn right and meet with TG. It seemed like a plan. Russ had a hip replacement some time back and the other was not well oiled so i stayed near by.
Well as Russ and i set off we walked about half a mile and i was getting ready to look a fox in the eye, it was common to see them near by, when he looked over with huge excitement, 'Pigs' he whispered. I was about 30 yds to his right so did not catch a glimps, and he was the one holding the 7x33 I encouraged him to take chase. Not being part of the Hunt I wondered if the pigs would run right and catch up with TG so I sent him a Sms to warn him. I could see Russ disappearing in pursuit so I thought best to follow, i caught up the few hundred yards and was back in touch with the lead. Still not seeing any Pigs and also being a believer that most pigs run downhill i readied across the hill to catch sight of any stragglers. Not realizing that Russ had now crossed the ridge in pursuit of the 80kg Boar, I was lower to the left in hope that one was less motivated. Another few hundred yards and I could see a burnt out stump in the long ripe summer Red grass. I stalked closer to see what lay ahead. To my amazement I could see the cork screw wiggling tail, the head was down feeding out of sight, my pulse raced as I considered my options, not knowing the size or age, I feared the worst, a bad decision would mean a lost trophy.

I retraced my steps to a point where I could be unheard, and made a call to TG hoping that the phone was not in the truck, and then made haste to the ridge hoping to wing a sighting of Russ.
Neither worked out as I topped the ridge and gave my 'Cooee' to arise a response. Both parties where engaged in a hunt of there own.
After about 5 minutes I raised an interest from Russ who frustrated, returned from an adjoining gully and inquired as to why i would draw him away from an 80Kg Boar hunt!!
Having no knowledge of his prey and now realizing that his lead would be cold, i suggested that he follow my lead on the pig down below us, he eagerly agreed.
We quickly exchanged notes and turned to see the small Boar rising the ridge about 200 yds below us, excited he left in pursuit. Now the trick to hunting in undulating timbered country is knowing when to take the shot and when to wait for a better more humane one, not only thinking about when to shoot but considering the surrounds and the seconds after.
As Russ covered the distance to make the shot the boar set down the slope as if out of sight, but then turned along the contour, so the shot was on, Boom another shot fired and no more than dust flied as the boar disappeared into thick scrub.
That was it!! He was going to break the stock in two, or throw the rifle as far as the eye could see!! It took no scholar to know that there was another problem at fault. I took the rifle, apologised profusely, and removed the Pecar scope set in Original Sako mounts and placed it in my back pack. It was now in full Irons, front and rear. The way the rifle was built all those years ago. I was now responsible for carrying this worthless piece of trash home.
Russ and i despondently walked over the next gully and up the next rise in search of TG who was up to our right and quite a way off. As we walked up and over the crest and along, i caught sight of TG up ahead and signaled to Russ, we only went a few more paces when we made a Red fox, take up and run about 50 yds and stand at about 160 yds off, we all know that if you are taking the shot you must be ready and fast with a fox. Well the ageing eyes and not having used Irons for years, meant I only pulled a bead to watch him disappear into the tea tree scrub ahead.
As fate would have it, TG who was now half a mile off was becoming more aware of our presence, later told us that the fox ran up the fence line toward him, but was in line with us, so no shot was offered.
It was a memorable hunt, even though i did not fire any shots, just to be in the moment, and share in the companionship, and enjoyment of these fine little rifles.
Just for the record, Russ later took a rabbit at close to 100yds with the 7x33 in Irons, as it left the factory in 1947!
I think Tg and I have converted another Hunter, from Modern to Vintage!

L-46

Last edited:
Rodger is a good guy to deal with. I can give him a high recommendation.

Me too mate. I got two really good people each end and it made it worthwhile and easy. A really big thanks to both of them;)

Just love this stuff. Try to keep the stories coming.

Well there has too be some benefit living out here with all the deadly snakes, bushfires, etc and hunting and fishing would be one of them!

You gotta be kiddin' !!! out hunting in the bush with those old Sakos in 7x33, and gathering up 27 bunnies !!

Deergoose - the problem I have now is finding more projectiles - shot off 50 on the weekend so my lifetimes supply of Tom Turtons may turn out to be only year or two's supply:( looking into rectifying that soon!

Sounds like a worthwhile road trip Topgear !

Deersako - I think its your turn soon, mate. Let us know how yours goes when you get it up and running.

I think Tg and I have converted another Hunter, from Modern to Vintage!

Hopefully there will be plenty more to follow soon!

Cheers John

Last edited:
Great post guys :)
I'll be honing my skills on some dog sized rabbits real soon :)
And using a 7mm of all things !

Back