• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako A11 Varmint - trigger advice

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

MFM

Just purchased a Sako A11 heavy barrelled in 22-250 and the trigger is very heavy. I have tried to adjust it but nothing seems to help its weight of pull. Is is common for this model to have such a heavy trigger? I own a mint Vixen and 85 varmint in 204 and both the triggers in these are great. Please advise whether a competent gunsmith can lighten the pull on this trigger or what are my other options (Timney).

MFM, welcome to our group of Sako fanatics. You may wish to visit the Sako web site and review the trigger adjustment info there. The Sako site is www.sako.fi ,look toward the top the page for old models and open, once there on the left margin you will find different Sako models listed. I know there are trigger adjustment instructions listed if you open the model 74 super info and page down until you locate the info. Most times the Sako trigger can be adjusted to 3 lbs easily, give the trigger a cleaning and try again to adjust, if that doesn't help perhaps a gunsmith should be consulted. good luck Jim

The Sako #4 trigger is an excellent one & has adjustment screws for weight of pull & overtravel. They can be set at near 2 lbs on most rifles. Lower than that & they can become unsafe & your safety may not work. If you don't have a good understanding of the mechanics of this trigger I recommend you seek the services of a competent gunsmith. If you want a trigger lower than 2-2.5 lbs I suggest an aftermarket trigger designed for lower pull weights. A "very heavy" trigger on a Sako is not the norm & leads me to think something is amiss with yours.

Paulson is spot on. Be extremely careful while messing with the triggers. I used to play with the triggers until I adjusted one down to about 1.25lbs (or so but maybe less). I thought it was great until I dropped the gun on the rear of the stock from about 1 foot and the firing pin released. Yes, the safety was off but that should not matter. Thankfully there was no ammo in the gun. I now take them to my local gunsmith and for $15 he takes them down to 2lbs. I find this just perfect for the type of hunting that I am doing.

Paulson is spot on. Be extremely careful while messing with the triggers. I used to play with the triggers until I adjusted one down to about 1.25lbs (or so but maybe less). I thought it was great until I dropped the gun on the rear of the stock from about 1 foot and the firing pin released. Yes, the safety was off but that should not matter. Thankfully there was no ammo in the gun. I now take them to my local gunsmith and for $15 he takes them down to 2lbs. I find this just perfect for the type of hunting that I am doing.

I had a trigger gauge put on this trigger yesterday and its showing 2.5lbs. I know that might not sound much, but the sort of varmint shooting we do in Australia is from the top of a stationary ute under spotlight at night over wheat crops at minimum 350 meters (head shooting only). Using 6-20x variable Leupolds. Heavy triggers make it so much more difficult under these conditions. 1lb or 'set' triggers' are a necessary requirement however if it was a standard carry gun I would agree that this is too light. Sounds like I may have to go a Timney or similar, but I have been told that these aftermarket triggers may not even be able to get it down to 1-1.5lbs.

MFM, I would be happy at 2.5 lbs if is safe. If you want a lower pull weight you may run into trouble!! Just my 2 cents. Jim

Back