• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Rihiimaki L46 .32-20

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

topgear

Sako-addicted
Its mentioned a bit that the L46 was once chambered in .32-20. I've read this by a few authors but doubt they exist. I've tried to do a bit of a search of the forum but can't find any discussion.

I'm 100% sure they don't exist, but happy to be proved wrong. Anyone ever seen a L46 .32-20?

I think that the only claims of sightings of this Sako Sasquatch have been in Europe. Some of those who claim to have seen fleeting glances of it were probably tanked up on Aquavit, but some others seem to be reliable sources. I will remain agnostic on the subject -- always hoping that an undoctored photo of one will appear here on the forum.

TG,
An interesting question.
I believe that the Internet info about the 32/20 is unfounded. The net is full of info on the L42 as well, and i have only seen one true mention of the L42 in Arma Fennica, where Timo writes from one would presume factory records, that Sako only made 6 in total. One would also think that most if not all where prototypes, being such a small number.

In my opinion, the net info most probably came from an old article written in speculation rather than fact. I have seen this, 'Net info' evolve over the years too, with mention of the 32/20 appearing about 10 years ago on a web page, now every L46 mention on the net, shows the 32/20 as a manufactured caliber, as if every gun shop has one for sale.
My thoughts about the initial speculation, are that during the 50's Sako made ammunition for all the calibers they chambered rifles in, and a few they did not, that where popular sellers. Sako made ammunition in both 25/20 and 32/20 during this period, so one would presume the L46 was chambered in it.

With most rifle manufacturers the 32/20 came before the 25/20 as the 25/20 was a wild cat of its parent case. One thing different about Finnish rifles, from US rifles, was that their influence was coming mostly from Germany in the early years. The Germans/Europeans adopted two cartridges from the US in the early 1900's One being the 22 hornet which they renamed a 5.6x35 or 22 veirling, by shortening the hornet case by 1mm and converting its dimensions to metric, and the other being the 25/20 which they converted to metric, 6.3x33R. I think this a no coincidence that Sako made the 7x33 the same length, to fit both cartridges in the magazine.
By 1930 the 5.6x35 and 6.3x33R where popular calibres in Europe and where produced by all the big name rifle manufactures. This is before Sako even began rifle production.

I think SC is correct in thinking that if a 32/20 appears, it would most likely be found in Europe or Australia. I have spoken to two different gunsmiths about this about 20 years ago, one of whom is a personal friend, who both claim to have either sold one or handled a 32/20 in the late 50's.
I think it is no secret that Sako did many custom jobs and small runs, in the early days, so it is conceivable that they may have chambered a small number.
I think it unlikely that Sako produced a 32/20 as it was not a popular cartridge in their domestic market, only an foreign importer may have placed an order for a short run. This too would be a long shot, in Australia the L46 25/20 was more popular than most other countries, but in saying that the L46 was very expensive compared to other rifles. So only a 32/20 enthusiast would order one, pre paid!

In saying that i personally have never seen one, not even a photo!
But i have the ammunition in white cardboard sealed boxes from 1951!
So the search continues..... 20 years on.....
L-46

"in Australia the L46 25/20 was more popular than most other countries"

The L46 in .25-20 is exceedingly rare in the U.S. The best I can determine the caliber was never commercially imported to the U.S. and the only examples here are those brought in by individuals.

L-46

I agree with your statements on the net forums but some early articles by gun writers like Nick Harvey pre 1990's also mention it as well? I wonder if its like you say though more related to thinking sako produced it as they produced .32-20 ammo. Very interesting stuff.

Speaking of old sako .32-20 ammo and boxes if any of the collectors are chasing some see http://www.melbournefirearms.com.au/a/SPECIALS .

Cheers John

L-46

I agree with your statements on the net forums but some early articles by gun writers like Nick Harvey pre 1990's also mention it as well? I wonder if its like you say though more related to thinking sako produced it as they produced .32-20 ammo. Very interesting stuff.

Speaking of old sako .32-20 ammo and boxes if any of the collectors are chasing some see http://www.melbournefirearms.com.au/a/SPECIALS .

Cheers John
topgear / L46
would have to agree there is no evidence of sako making a rifle in 32-20w have also listened to people who claimed to have had / seen this cal sako, nobody ever produced a rifle as evidence. not even a 32-20 maked magazine.
my question now is why did sako make 32-20 ammo that would be nothing short of dangerous in ANY winchester lever ever made.
topgear, have looked at the 32-20w sako boxes in melbourne firearms , 1st the photo of the 3 boxes shows what looks like a 25-20 rnd.
have several variations of 32-20w ammo by sako, have also fired many of the odd rnds in i have in an original bsa made martini take down.
using a chrony just for fun, the 90gr semi pointed rnd in the photo clocked 2100fps +, flattened primers enough for them cratter back into the fireing pin hole . the flat pt rnds where only just behind in fps. flash hole so small the std primer pin im my redding dies became jammed.
now my question is why or what did sako have in mind when they made these things ?
susanna.

Attachments

• sako 32-20 ammo 004.jpg
    sako 32-20 ammo 004.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 14
  • sako 32-20 ammo 001.jpg
    sako 32-20 ammo 001.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 12
Re: 32-20 ammunition.

Winchester used to make two loads for the .32-20. Its load with a 100 grain bullet was listed at 1290 fps (from a rifle) and was also suitable for use in handguns. They offered another load called ".32-20 Winchester High Velocity" which was noted "not adapted to pistols or Winchester M73". This "High Velocity" load had an 80 grain bullet at 2,100 FPS. This information comes from the Shooter's Bible of 1965.

The High Velocity load had to have been intended for the Winchester Model 92, Winchester M43, Savage M23, Remington M25, etc. The Model 92 was a relatively strong action and (before it became such a collector's item) was frequently rebarreled to .44 Magnum. I would presume that Sako's high velocity offering in this caliber was intended for the same gun (or guns) as the similar Winchester offering -- and it is certain that Winchester was not making its ammunition with some exceedingly rare Sako in mind.

So, I don't think that the existence of high velocity Sako .32-20 ammunition is necessarily an indicator that Sako ever chambered this caliber.

Last edited:
Hello Sako Lovers,

As I have said before, My great late friend Derek Tyndale-Powell had a Sako L42 .32-20 which I used at times at our local Gun & Rifle Club. Derek purchased the rifle second-hand around 1950 from Richard Blanton's shop in Ringwood Hampshire England UK. When Derek died in 2012 age 84 all his firearms were taken away by the Police, which is the law following a death in the UK. I told Jim L61R about that L42 .32-20 around the time Derek died.

Regards
Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

Hello Sako Lovers,

As I have said before, My great late friend Derek Tyndale-Powell had a Sako L42 .32-20 which I used at times at our local Gun & Rifle Club. Derek purchased the rifle second-hand around 1950 from Richard Blanton's shop in Ringwood Hampshire England UK. When Derek died in 2012 age 84 all his firearms were taken away by the Police, which is the law following a death in the UK. I told Jim L61R about that L42 .32-20 around the time Derek died.

Regards
Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey
Blackjack,
A great piece of info on the 32/20. I know it must be many years since you have seen the rifle you talk about, can you describe in as much detail as you recall about its features.
Do you think at all possible it was stamped 6.3x33R?
And that the side of the action was stamped 1946?
Do you have any recollection of the serial number or how many didgits in the number?
Merry Xmas,
L-46

Hello L-46,

Yes it was a long time ago since I saw that L42 .32/20. I do remember the rifle having a left-hand wing safety. The L42 had iron-sights, but I don't remember a peep-sight. I think on the left hand side of the barrel was stamped 32-20. What I do remember mostly was the boxes of .32-20 ammunition. The rifle was very accurate, but the range was only 100 yards long. I would of liked to have owned the rifle, except I would of preferred a .218 Bee. I don't remember the serial number.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

Mike,
Thanks for your reply, it is quite a possibility then that you have come in contact with a very rare Sako!
I too have heard of sightings but never seen one.
From what you have described i believe that the rifle you mention would be the L46 model as very few L42 rifles where produced, maybe less than 10!
I am positive that all L42 rifles where chambered in 7x33.
Either way you have a great story and some great memories of a day out with your friend!
Thanks for sharing!
Have a Safe and Merry Christmas!
L-46

Hello L46,

Thanks for your input regarding Derek's .32-20 Sako rifle. I'm sure the rifle was a L42, because of the left-hand safety lever, and Derek told me years ago that the stock was made of Birch-Wood. As I said before I remember the Boxes of .32-20 Win. Ammo which were very old looking, but I don't remember much more.

Same to you my friend. A Merry Xmas & A Happy New Year.

Blackjack

Back