• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Christmas List - SAKO BigFoots (do they exist ??!!)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

deergoose

Sako-addicted
I normally do not start threads, I mostly read all of them, and I'm stealing from today's .32-20 thread activity !!

So....L61R has the website looking great for the Christmas Holiday and very festive !! (thanks for all that you do!!)

Well now, what are the Sako Bigfoots? What are on your wishlist from the family of Bigfoots? Here's a first crack.....please post pics of the Bigfoots if you have them !! I'm hoping to get lots of attention to this topic......let the talk and speculation begin !

1) L46 Hornet Deluxe (or 7x33, 25-20, Bee)
2) .25-06 Bofors
3) .244 Heavy Barrel Mannlicher
4) .223 Bofors Mannlicher
5) .22/250 Bofors Mannlicher
6) L57 in .257 Roberts

Do they exist ? What else?

DeerGoose

Money talks . . . what would you pay for items 1-6?

I bet if enough reward money was posted they might show up.

I know a few guys that watch this page . . . but they never post any photos of their stash . . . because they don't want any pestering phone calls about selling.

I'm not sure about the existence of some of those Big Foots, but there are some Sako Passenger Pigeons, Tasmanian tigers, and Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers that I'd like to capture:

L61R .300 H&H Deluxe (I've seen one for sale and missed it by an hour, and another surfaced in Australia).
L461 7.62x39
L61R 7x57, 7x64, 8x57, 8x60S, and 9.3x62
L46 .218 Bee w/flamed birch & barrel band
L46 .25-20 Walnut Mannlicher

There are more, but these would satisfy me for a while.

I normally do not start threads, I mostly read all of them, and I'm stealing from today's .32-20 thread activity !!

So....L61R has the website looking great for the Christmas Holiday and very festive !! (thanks for all that you do!!)

Well now, what are the Sako Bigfoots? What are on your wishlist from the family of Bigfoots? Here's a first crack.....please post pics of the Bigfoots if you have them !! I'm hoping to get lots of attention to this topic......let the talk and speculation begin !

1) L46 Hornet Deluxe (or 7x33, 25-20, Bee)
2) .25-06 Bofors
3) .244 Heavy Barrel Mannlicher
4) .223 Bofors Mannlicher
5) .22/250 Bofors Mannlicher
6) L57 in .257 Roberts

Do they exist ? What else?

DeerGoose
Well my guess:
1) Don't exist (although an apparent 7x33 deluxe is on guns international for $7K)
2) Don't exist
3) Maybe
4) Maybe
5) Maybe
6) Don't exist

An L46 mannlicher carbine in 7x33, .25-20, hornet or bee would be pretty special - BUT I can't see how one would exist. The problem is nowdays its pretty easy to fake one of these even though they were never produced. So if a 'real' one did come along its hard to be 100% certain its not a modern creation. I think that's the problem with the 7x33 deluxe for sale on guns international. Its likely legitimate but just due to what's know and no records there is always some doubt in the back of your mind.

Some of the other bigfoots I've heard of:
- 7mm-08 finnwolf - a bigfoot for sure!
- .30-06 or 7 rem mag. finnwolf (a prototype apparently)

My Christmas wish would be for me and Santa to time-travel back to the Sako factory and put all the oddballs right into his big red bag. Then I would know the ultra rare mega collectibles are real - just like Santa Claus is real.

Well my guess:
1) Don't exist (although an apparent 7x33 deluxe is on guns international for $7K) . . .

An L46 mannlicher carbine in 7x33, .25-20, hornet or bee would be pretty special - BUT I can't see how one would exist.

I believe the Deluxe 7x33 on GI to be legitimate. I saw details of it on another site and it is one of the late run (1963-4) of L46s with a SN well into the L461 range. I can only speculate that as Sako was attempting to use up L46 parts that this is what emerged from what was available.

I own a 7x33 Mannlicher and know a guy well who just sold one. I've owned my for some time now and find no indication that anything about it is unoriginal. I'm pretty certain you can move that one from the "Sasquatch" category to the "endangered species" category.

Ooops. Just noticed that you said "Mannlicher carbine". My 7x33 is rifle-length with a 600mm barrel. The shorter barreled model may well be a mythical beast.:(

As an M72 collector . . . my wanted list is
1). 264 win mag.
2) 220 swift
3) 222 Rem. mag.
4) 300 H&H
5) 22 hornet

Great stuff guys !!

All this stuff is scarce. I consider all like ransome items. Let them come out and be displayed with the ransome money request, and see what they'll bring !!

At this point, I'd just like to know if the stuff exists..., and would like to see pics. .I'll have to check for the 7x33 deluxe, I didn't see that one !! or maybe I did see, and forgot about it.

DeerGoose

Ooops. Just noticed that you said "Mannlicher carbine". My 7x33 is rifle-length with a 600mm barrel. The shorter barreled model may well be a mythical beast.:(

Yes there was a mannlicher 7x33 for sale over here a few months back as well so they exist. I've never seen a carbine mannlicher however in 7x33, bee, hornet or .25-20. The carbines all came late in the run and all had the L461 style stocks and I've never seen one other than .222.

Deergoose - see http://www.gunsinternational.com/SAKO-Vixen-Deluxe-7-x-33.cfm?gun_id=100365718 its only $7400:)

I've seen one in .222Mag, but I can't remember if it was a 46 or a 469. I have a bunch of carbines, including the one that I bought at the big Musser Bros. auction a few summers ago in .244 with L57 action.

that's a neat 7x33 deluxe ! but doesn't have the engraved TG assembly and Mag floorplate.

DeerGoose

Very good lists by all!
Hope you find some of these treasures this coming year!

The L46/469 carbine was produced in 222 and 222mag that i have seen, even though very rare i have only seen one or two in 222mag.
The other calibres, hornet, 25/20, 7x33 and Bee will be very tough to find. I have listed them in order of how hard i believe they could be to find with hornet being the easiest. I have no proof, just gut instinct.
They where all available for sale by 'special order' during the late fifties, and factory records states that each calibre was produced in some form, most probably 'sporter', right up until the end on production of the L46, so anything is possible.
Have a Safe and Merry Xmas
L-46

And you do the same, L-46!!

thanks for the info. I'm not sure about any of this stuff, to be honest. It has been my experience over the years just when you think you've got things figured out, something happens that defies the rule. Your ordering seems correct to me, but in the states I'd place the Bee in the middle somewhere, with the -20 or -33 at the end. But who knows??? I can only recall seeing a handful in each caliber. Perhaps only one or two in 25/20.

thanks!!
DeerGoose

DG,
I think alot of members on this site, know alot about sako's and have much to share, and that is what makes it fun for all! I too find many times what i think to be correct, later i see and learn to be quite the opposite!
The different backgrounds we have, and countries we come from, makes it hard to know everything about one particular model.
If one of our members had not posted pics of a magnificent L46 22 Hornet Bofors, i would have always doubted their existence!

Happy Huntin,
L-46

that'd be me, L-46. I've got the model 4 Hornet from 1959. Crisp as a new dollar bill, and all original. I coughed up a bunch of folding money for it, and have never looked back, it is one of my favorites !

thanks,
DeerGoose

Yes, that would have been a Great day!
I can still remember the pics you posted! woah

Well i better post my bucket list, and i will stay to only 3 as if i make it longer than my fingers will get tired from typing, or run out of pages!

1. L46 Deluxe Bofors any of the 4 calibres will do.
2. L46 22 Hornet Early style fullwood, domestic model
3. L461 223 Bofors carbine! what would be something!
oh I just want to keep typing,
Happy Huntin,
L-46

Well its really simple for me - what I would like [no actually what I need ] is an L57 action and a barrel band to appear for sale here in Oz.......

cos what I need to complete my little set of Sako shooters is a 358 Win [in a Mannlicher carbine of course], and from what I've read that is certainly a BigFoot, and only a custom job.

best wishes to all for the New year

I believe the Deluxe 7x33 on GI to be legitimate. I saw details of it on another site and it is one of the late run (1963-4) of L46s with a SN well into the L461 range. I can only speculate that as Sako was attempting to use up L46 parts that this is what emerged from what was available.

It's interesting Stonecreek. The only evidence I have seen is from the April 1984 Finnmark newsletter where Mims Reed states that Jim Lutes has a L46 7x33 deluxe. He also mentions a .25-20 in a deluxe stock. To me that is saying the 7x33 had the engraved floor plate and the .25-20 didn't.
Does anyone know if the 7x33 Deluxe came up for sale at the big sako Rock Island auction? or was that Mims own rifles not Jim Lutes rifles? There was a copy of the catalogue put up on the forum but I can't find it now since the site move. If someone has a saved copy of the catalogue could they please PM me so I can give you my email address to send me a copy if you don't mind.
Now I don't know Mims Reed at all and was only a kid when he wrote the above but would there be any reason to doubt him? If not then it does give pretty good evidence to support there being L46 deluxe's other than .222/.222mag. I would have just thought that if you had one you'd be keen to show it off on a site like this and I'm amazed we have never seen one surface on here.

Attachments

• L46Deluxe.JPG
    L46Deluxe.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hey guys!

There are many odd Sakos outs there and I have a few on my bucket list!

The .22Vierling L46 that sold on Long Island Auctions many years ago.
The very first VL63 in .30-06 (!!) that disappeared when it reached the US.
The presentation grade Safaris which also were sold at Long Island Auctions.
Any one digit L46 and L57 would do, as well as late Sako Mausers in 300H&H and 375H&H with straight classic stocks and slide safety.

Who knows what Santa will bring!?!

Jim

Back