• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

AIII rings / bases

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Jeffrey Harvey

I just purchased an AIII / 270 which came with Redfield bases & rings. I may want to replace these to mount a Leuopold VX II 3-9 / 40mm objective. What would you recommend?

Jeff,

Sorry I missed your initial post. The Redfield base/ring system is a good one and I have them on several Sakos. Here are a couple of pointers:

First, if the bases are equipped with set screws take them out and discard them. They are worthless and can only scar the top of the receiver. Simply tap the bases very firmly as far forward as each will go (never try to use them aft of their furthest forward position, even if the rear one overhangs the action opening slightly). I use a block of hardwood and a mallet for this purpose. Once they are installed this way they will never come loose (due to the taper of the dovetail and the action of the recoil which tightens them with every shot) and can only be removed by reversing the process by tapping them individually rearward.

You will want to rethink your choice of "medium" height rings for a 40mm scope. The Redfield bases stand above the receiver, adding a little height. The lowest ring you can find will still clear the barrel with a 40mm scope. You'll find eye alignment and cheek weld much better with the lower rings.

I think you'll enjoy your A-III .270. My Sako .270 is my favorite deer rifle for open country hunting.

Jeff,

Sorry I missed your initial post. The Redfield base/ring system is a good one and I have them on several Sakos. Here are a couple of pointers:

First, if the bases are equipped with set screws take them out and discard them. They are worthless and can only scar the top of the receiver. Simply tap the bases very firmly as far forward as each will go (never try to use them aft of their furthest forward position, even if the rear one overhangs the action opening slightly). I use a block of hardwood and a mallet for this purpose. Once they are installed this way they will never come loose (due to the taper of the dovetail and the action of the recoil which tightens them with every shot) and can only be removed by reversing the process by tapping them individually rearward.

You will want to rethink your choice of "medium" height rings for a 40mm scope. The Redfield bases stand above the receiver, adding a little height. The lowest ring you can find will still clear the barrel with a 40mm scope. You'll find eye alignment and cheek weld much better with the lower rings.

I think you'll enjoy your A-III .270. My Sako .270 is my favorite deer rifle for open country hunting.

Thank you for the advice, I will order a set of low rings for this gun. The bases are on the gun with no set screws and are tight. Due to availabitiy of rings I'm using Leopold rings & may go to a 42mm objective on a future scope purchase for this rifle. Very pleased with the gun which has some hunting handling marks on the stock but perfect bore & crown so I expect this will be a good shooting & excellent deer rifle. Currently I've been using my Ruger M 77 in 270.

Jeff,

Jeff,

Jeff,

Stonecreek,
read your reply to Jeff concerning rings and thought maybe you could help me out. I own a Sako Forrester in.243 Winch. with a bull barrel(L579) I am looking for rings to mount a new 1 inch scope and am having a tough time finding something that works without spending $200. The rear base is a tapered dovetail with a notch. I have an original set off rings that I got when I bought the rifle new some 50 years ago but nothing I see today looks anything like them. Any help or advise would be appreciated. I would prefer to keep the old rings on the 6x24 and use the new rings on the new 3x9x40.

Lou

Lou,

I'm not sure from your description just what kind of rings you have. If you could post a photo it would help. What is the diameter of the objective of the scope you want to mount on your HB?

Lou,

I'm not sure from your description just what kind of rings you have. If you could post a photo it would help. What is the diameter of the objective of the scope you want to mount on your HB?
Stonecreek,
I am not set up to post pics. but I will try to describe what I have. Mounted on the rifle is a 6x24x40mm scope(obj.lense measures 53mm) and fits on the rifle quite well and shoots well. The bases are a milled part of the receiver(rear is tapered dovetail with a stop notch,front is tapered dovetail).The rings have a large knurled tightning knob and slide onto the dovetail(rear ring has a small post that catches in rear stop notch).The bottom face of rings(part that looks at bases) is stamped 25.4. I would like to be able to have the new scope (3x9x40mm) with its own rings so that I can switch scopes without having to also move the rings. New scope obj.measures 48mm. What I am need of is a second set of rings and I am not having to much luck.
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.
Lou

Stonecreek, Mounted Leupold 3-9 with 40mm objective using low Redfield rings on Redfield bases. Clearance is about 1/16" at lowest point over the barrel but this is the same as I had on the Ruger that I took the scope off of. Mounts & points well, thanks for the advice.

Back