• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How and where to find a correct L579 Butt Pad?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Sidkidd

Just came into a very nice Forester Sporter in .243. It needs a correct butt pad and spacer to be found. In reading some of the old threads, it was mentioned that these type of items could be available. I would like to know how and where that might be? It was made around mid 1968 as far as I can figure. Don't know what the correct one should look like, either. Thanks for the open forum sharing!

Only deluxe models had pads. The butt plate and spacer for the sporters and heavy barrels are what you need. They can be found many times a year on Ebay and sometimes here or Gunbroker.com and let me welcome you to the club.-Misako

I'm assuming you have a standard grade Sako. If yours was made around 1968 then it would have a plate that looks like this. As mentioned, a Deluxe would have a pad. Welcome to the forum.

Attachments

• Sako plate.jpg
    Sako plate.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 37
I'm assuming you have a standard grade Sako. If yours was made around 1968 then it would have a plate that looks like this. As mentioned, a Deluxe would have a pad. Welcome to the forum.

How would I know the difference between Std & Dlx? Except for the pad I would give this gal a 98% grade. This one has a rubber pad (1in thick) and very small holes (not in normal locations) closer to the center circle. The circle is the only place with any thing on the pad. Problem is the emblem inside the circle has been scratched off. The pad fits perfect to the wood butt stock, like it came that way. OH, the picture attached would not open, maybe my fault.

Thanks for your quick reply! You also did so awhile back on the Lever forum. I have not been on in quite some time. It is nice to be back :)>)

Sid
The deluxe stocks have a rosewood forend, and pistol grip cap, and the floorplate is engraved. There are photos of deluxe stocks on the "show us your beautiful Sakos" section of the forum.

If your standard grade L579 had it's plastic buttplate replaced with a recoil pad the stock may have been cut to maintain LOP. If so a normal buttplate will not fit correctly & your stock LOP will be shorter than standard.
Any quality recoil pad properly installed will work on your rifle & detract very little, if at all, from it's value. The Custom Shop in Montana has new Sako reproduction pads for over $100, but since the pad is not the original configuration of your rifle it makes little sense to use one of theirs.

If your standard grade L579 had it's plastic buttplate replaced with a recoil pad the stock may have been cut to maintain LOP. If so a normal buttplate will not fit correctly & your stock LOP will be shorter than standard.
Any quality recoil pad properly installed will work on your rifle & detract very little, if at all, from it's value. The Custom Shop in Montana has new Sako reproduction pads for over $100, but since the pad is not the original configuration of your rifle it makes little sense to use one of theirs.
Thank you.

I have been away from Forum for years, but had my L579 .243 bofors out hunting here in Alberta on the weekend. It still needs a plastic buttpad, as the one on it has a piece broken away. White spacer is okay. Wonderful gun to carry in the field, but came up empty ... lots of mule deer bucks around but no whitetails and of course the tag is for whitetail.

Latest posts

Back