• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Boyds Now makes stocks for L579

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stephenhubchen

A while back (Aug 2013) I was looking for a possible replacement stock for my Forester after my original stock had a major chip in it. Knowing that Bell & Carlson no longer made the Carbelite for the L579, I confirmed that my options were limited to very expensive or semi-inletted. Luckily I managed to fix my stock such that I don't (yet) need a replacement.

Well, don't know if this is well known but it seems like Boyds now makes stocks for the L579, and in quite a lot of options. Good news for all.

Check out http://www.boydsgunstocks.com and use their stock search engine.

BTW, I found this just by chance after I heard that they now make a replacement stock for the T/C Omega muzzleloader - my main hunting rifle. It just might be that Boyds is now making stocks for other brands/models previously unavailable.

[edited to correct the dead link]

Last edited:
And, for the 4 shot Finnwolf. They used one of mine as a pattern. It is not listed on their website yet but should be shortly. They are sending mine back to me and with a couple of their stocks. I will keep you posted once they arrive.

Great news for us. I wonder what the difference from 4 shot to 3 shot would be? Hopefully we will be able to modify the 4 shot to work.-Misako

Well, just had a lengthy call with Boyds. So after having my gun for over 1.5 months, they just informed me that they are not able to duplicate the stock without a whole bunch of work. This is after they told me everything was ready to go and would be sending me my gun back with my new stocks. Interesting.... The supervisor there was very helpful but it appears she has her hands tied. For my efforts, they are willing to send me a stock. I will keep you posted on how this turns out. Sorry to hijack your thread.

If anyone would buy a stock from them I'm sure there are a lot of guys who would appreciate some pictures and comparisons to the original L579 stock.

I would love a replacement stock with a slightly longer LOP and a high, straight comb. I just don't know if the Boyds classic does have a higher comb than the original or not.

They're very reasonably priced and they come with a rubber buttpad installed...

I just received my L579 stock today. Looks pretty good however they forgot to put the checkering on it. It is even on the order form. Pretty interesting but will be calling them tomorrow.

I think it will need to go back for them to add the checkering. I have not tried fitting the stock yet since I don't want any reason for them not to finish their work. I will see if I can get some pictures up today.

Here are a couple pictures.

DSC_0109_zps33b0cabf.jpg

DSC_0110_zpsa27cc914.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsf9134170.jpg

DSC_0108_zpse48b0a6d.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/emmerth/DSC_0109_zps33b0cabf.jpg

After reading this thread I placed an order for this stock for my custom 220Swift. This was a custom order, 14 1/4 LOP, green paint for 115.00, which is cheap! It costs me that much to get someone to turn my wood. What blew me away was it came in 12 days. Couple of years ago they must have changed ownership as the previous 3 times I tried to custom order something ended up being canceled after 6-8 months of stalling. I was even stonewalled on stock offerings, reason I was always given was they were waiting to get a few more orders!!! This is not the same ole Boyds. Currently opening up the barrel channel but the bottom metal slipped right in. Will update pics when I get it in.

IMG_6210_1_.JPG

IMG_6213_1_.JPG

IMG_6211_1_.JPG

IMG_6212_1_.JPG

I like the look of the stock, Emmerth. Nice grain and finish and looks like a real keeper. Hope the checkering works itself out.-Misako

Yeah, I think they are sending me an entirely new stock and they are letting me keep this one (or at least that is what they told me yesterday lol)

Good timing with this thread. Locally there is a Forester up for grabs, but it has some stock issues. I just looked at the Boyd's site. These stocks all appear to be laminates or synthetics. Is this correct?

I really like the looks of yours emmerth. Please do share a photo or two when you get the checkered one. On their website, I can't seem to find the real wood like you have. I'm guessing I have to give them a call and actually talk to someone?

Hey emmerth, I just wanted to follow up on this and see if there were any pictures available for the your stock after the checkering was added? If you don't mind sharing, it would be appreciated.
I bought an older L579 Forester in .243 several years ago (I believe it was late '60s, but not home now to see what the s/n was anymore), and at the time it was in great condition, but unfortunately because of me being an idiot, I cracked the stock near the fore end. I have glued it back together so it is still useable, but looks like crap, so have been wanting to find a nice, wood replacement for it. From the looks of your earlier photos, your stock looks very much like what I am aiming for.

Back