• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Best scope rings--and ring height--for Sako AV

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Cfowler

I picked up an AV 25-06, which is scheduled to arrive at my FFL today. I got a Swarovski Z3 3-10/42 to put on it.

The rifle has Leupold rings on it, which I'll use if possible. But they look a little high from photos, so I plan to replace them if there's much space between bell and barrel.

First off, what ring height (high, med, low) is typically required to clear a scope in the 40-42mm range on an AV. To the extent your experience is brand specific please let me know which rings you're talking about. Also, pictures showing how much clearance you have on an AV (or similar) and scope of similar proportions to mine would be much appreciated.

Second, if I do have to replace the rings, which would you go with? I suppose I'm considering Talley, Leupold, and Sako Optilock. My dad has Optilocks on several 75s and likes them (although from perusing the forum a bit, it looks like that's not a unanimous view). Any specific advantages/disadvantages you've observed with any of the options would be helpful.

Thanks!

Cfowler...Leupold rings are a decent choice but are not windage adjustable. They have to mount just about center of the dovetails to center on the bore axis. This sometimes is a problem depending on how much scope tube is available with the chosen type of scope. Sako High Ringmounts work well with the large objective scopes. Millet rings are a very good choice as well...They come with mounting plates that install between the rings and the dovetails and they are windage adjustable as well as a choice of a variety of heights. I have not used the Opti-lock , Tally or Conetrol...I would try Ebay and find a set of original Sako Ringmounts, the High's run under $100 and are well worth it in the long run. Good luck!~Bloorooster

Cfowler, I am not familiar with the AV or it's dovetails, but for what it is worth I have mounted a Swarovski Z3 4-12 x 50 and a Zeiss 3.5-10x44 on my Sako 85 Finnlights using the Optilock 1" lo Ring Mounts (these are the one-piece Sako mounts). With the Swarovski's 50mm objective I had to file a slight groove in the plastic lens cap to get it to fit, but the Zeiss was no problem. Sako's brochure states that the 1" Lo Ring Mounts fit scopes with max objectives of 48-56mm so you should have no problem with your Z3 - very nice scope by the way.

Sako produce two types of scope mounts, the one-piece Optilock Ring Mounts and the 2-piece Optilock Scope Mounts. (There is also a quickmount version). Both types have the polymer inserts which aid scope alignment and both are solid well-built rings in either blued or stainless. The Ring Mounts are neater and lighter but have no provision for vertical adjustment and cannot be shimmed easily. The Scope Mounts are heavier and can be shimmed if necessary. Horizontal adjustment on both is by moving the front ring forward or back on the tapered dovetail (does the AV have tapered dovetails?) a system which I have found works well. The rear mount cannot be moved as it has a recoil pin, though this can be removed as a last resort

The Sako mounts on my 3 Finnlights (2 85s and a 75) have been rock solid.
Here is my Zeiss on an 85. I would post the Swarovski but Photobucket does not appear to be working.

Sako 85 260 Rem 0564 (Small).JPG

Medium Sako Rings work perfectly with the AV action & Swaro Z3 3-10x42.

FotoFlexer_Photo_zps984ed8c5.jpg

Both those above scope mounting pic's look about perfect to me. One thing I don't like is much light between the barrel and the scope ocular. Its amazing how much better a rifle with low mounted scope points!
I would also consider the older style sako ringmounts as well. (version before 7mmmagnum shows above).

Hands down the best set up I have used on an AV / L61R is the Leupold QR 2 piece base which you can get in gloss or matte from SWFA for $80. You can get 1" 30mm or 34mm rings and can get extension rings for short tubes and anything from super low to extra high

They return to zero better than any I have used including Talley

They levers are very small so they don't dig in your back like QRW or Talley quick release when slinging your rifle. The rings are inexpensive

If traveling abroad you can simply take your scope as carry on so its not damaged

Fwiw

I suggest you get the scope then set it on your rifle using wood blocks of various heights between the scope & the dovetails to determine what height ringmounts you need. Leupold gives the height of the ringmounts in their catalog or web site so you can choose the proper one instead of guessing & asking what others use with a totally different scope than you are using. Kinda takes the guess work out of it. Mediums may work with 40mm objectives depending on the brand of scope. 42mm are borderline as well with mediums. Like I said it's best to measure or you will end up with a ringmount collection.

I have Warne rings on my Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag. They are about 25 years old. They hold a Leupold Vari-X II in place. It has a 40MM objective. I don't like big objectives larger than 40 MM because scopes have to sit too high on rifles. I like objectives as close to barrels as possible.

The sad part is that Warne doesn't make these one-piece rings any longer. Ther were of all steel construction, fit securely to my rifles dovetail, & my zero has never moved.

For newest Sako, I went with Optilock.

when choosing the mounts for my l61r and a swarovski z6, i found blocks of wood( then aa batteries, which worked perfect) helped tremendously finding the perfect mounting height. Bolt handle clearance was as much an issue as the barrel. opti lock low ringmounts would have worked and are a very solid set up( my dad's m995 has a set on), but a set of conetrol's will get the scope just a little lower and look much nicer, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back