• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The Right Scope

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

SansSouci

My Sako AV .270 Win is home. It appears as though it was never fired. So far I couldn't be happier. Buyer's remorse? What the heck is that?

Anyway, I might need a new scope. I have a Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag with a Leupold Vari-X II 4x12 AO with a 40MM objective on it. I wasn't sure whether I'd like that scope. I love it. With Warne dovetail rings, that scope has never lost zero.

I have a Vari-X II 3x9 with a 40MM objective that I' pretty sure I am going to put on my AV .270 Win just to see how she shoots. I also have an idle VX-3 2.5x8 that might be the perfect scope for my AV .270. But then again, I've got this itch. It's caused by the Leupold VX-3 4.5x14 with a 40MM objective. I like 40MM objective because when installed inside of medium dovetail rings, the scope comes naturally to my eye when I shoulder my rifle. And I can seat the objective paper-close to the barrel.

So what's the verdict? Should I use what I have? Or should I scratch my itch?

I like a 40mm objective for the same reason you do. A larger objective certainly has it's advantages, but I don't like reaching for it. I don't have one of the 50mm Leupolds with the crescent cut in the bottom, nor have I even looked through one when mounted, but it would have to be worth considering. A large objective that sits down low seems like having your cake and eating it too.

SS..Leupold Scopes reign supreme in my shooting and hunting preferences. The choices as to which one for which rifle are always perplexing.
I have found that the older (pre 74 up to mid 80's) Vari-X IIc's and first generation VX III's to be the best. I have a current model VXIII 4.5x14 CDS, it is very clear but is rather tight on eye relief, in comparison to my others. The 2.5x8 I use on my .308 L579 almost connects straight to my optic nerve its so perfect, but it is just a bit to much for low ringmounts. I also have a couple older 42mm Leupys that must have high rings to clear the barrel. Some scope / ring combinations will work on a Forester but will not on a Finnbear because of barrel contours.
Good luck with the choices and let us know how she shoots!~Bloo

Leupold vari/vx 2/3 is my almost standard for hunting scopes, they work and if they ever don't you can send them back lifetime of scope regardless of who owns it. I myself prefer a lower magnification scope for big game (deer) 1.75 or 2.5 with 3/3.5 max on lower magnification. Do some reading on Leupolds if your not up on the recent changes they have improved so much from my research the new VX2 is what the old vx III was.

The gold ring is pretty much a standard for me, however I will admit that I have a Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 that is better than Leupold vx III. I also like Sightron their customer service is as good as Leupold and they make some fine scopes. Bushnell 3200 and 4200 series also are fine scopes I would not hesitate between any of the brands other than balking at prices!!

Edit I have owned the 50mm objective leupold 3.5-10x50 vx III I loved it a noticle bigger field of view as well as brighter at dusk. It mated with my eye no different than a 40mm objective, well worth considering.

Back