• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 25-20 Sporter

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

pakula

Hi all, searched through the forums and can't seem to find the following.
Did all L46 sporters have rear ladder sights on their barrels?

No, the later ones did not and came equipped only with a front sight. However, if you are speaking of one chambered in the scarce .25-20, which would be an early model, then during that era it would have most probably had a ladder rear sight.

Can you post a photo of the rifle in question?

That one appears to be a later rifle than any (of the very few) I've seen. It has the rolling safety which came along somewhere around the 7,000 mark and has the checkered walnut stock. Would be nice to know its SN. It was about this time that Sako stopped putting ladder sights on their walnut sporters.

I'm not too sure how far into the series that the .25-20 was chambered, but that SN would probably be one of the later ones -- and the sightless barrel is consistent with that SN and stock.

That is correct, for the US rifles.
In Australia, the rear sights where fitted on all L46 rifles, even on alot of Varmint barrels.
Pakula are you the Very lucky new owner?
L-46

Congrats!!
a job well done,
More photos are in order when she arrives!
L-46

That is correct, for the US rifles.
In Australia, the rear sights where fitted on all L46 rifles, even on alot of Varmint barrels.
L-46
Although many Sakos came directly to Australia from Finland, it seems that a lot of them made a stop in the U.S. first. However, I doubt that if this one is chambered for .25-20 it came through the U.S. as I can find no evidence that the .25-20 chambering was ever commercially imported to the U.S.

Info relayed to me is that it has no evidence of a rear site. Has NT inspectors marks on barrel and action. Barrel has inspectors mark followed by Finnish Lion mark then .25-20 horizontally across barrel. Magazine marked .25-20. Rifle was inherited by a gent in his sixties from his father.
I have only seen one other .25-20 from an old friend of the family who started me on hunting and that was 34 years ago. He was pro roo shooting at the time and his rifle was very accurate. Only dragged it out a couple of times a year just to tell me how rare it was.
From memory it was an much earlier build. He would still have it , have to contact him and see if he still loves it. Will post pics when it arrives.

Although many Sakos came directly to Australia from Finland, it seems that a lot of them made a stop in the U.S. first. However, I doubt that if this one is chambered for .25-20 it came through the U.S. as I can find no evidence that the .25-20 chambering was ever commercially imported to the U.S.
As far as i thought, all early Sako's where imported directly to Australia by Custers. i will start another thread on this as it is something worth discussing more.
Can you expand on what you know of rifles stopping first in the US on route to Aust?
L-46

owning 2 x 25/20 L46 sakos rifles have found this discusion very interesting. my 2 rifles are quite different.
1st 25/20 ser no 148xx has no rear sight, barrel in very poor condition & unable to find a smith here in sydney that is willing to resleeve it, i turned it into a 218B, 20in 1in10 twist . have kept the original . 2nd rifle ser no 113xx has the ladder rear sight. on a visit to the A.C.T. L46 upon looking at this one declared it had several features that i was not aware of.
susanna

Attachments

• sako 25-20w barrel 007.jpg
    sako 25-20w barrel 007.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 26
  • sako 25-20w barrel 008.jpg
    sako 25-20w barrel 008.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 24
As far as i thought, all early Sako's where imported directly to Australia by Custers. i will start another thread on this as it is something worth discussing more.
Can you expand on what you know of rifles stopping first in the US on route to Aust?
L-46
I probably didn't phrase that very well. What I meant was not that there was some commercial importation to Australia of new Sakos which was routed through the U.S., but rather that many Sakos now in Australia were imported as used guns from the U.S.

I will have to admit that I purchased the L46 25/20 that Topgear mentioned in his post above. When I saw the ad I was straight onto it as I had been looking for one for a long time. That particular seller sometimes takes the ad off the site when it has sold which is why it disappeared. The thread that Pakula started is very interesting so I thought I would add my bit as well. The serial number on mine is 62xx and I was told by the seller that he picked it up in Germany and imported it here to Australia. Both front and rear site were intact except the rear site blade (part with the notch in it that lines up with front site) had been unscrewed and taken off, probably to give slightly more clearance for a scope. It had been used a bit judging by the bumps in the wood and thinning blue but the barrel and action are very good and it shoots like a champion. I have mainly used it on foxes, rabbits, feral cats and roos and makes a nice companion to my three L46 222s. I have been using Speer 75gn FPs and they work well. This is my first post so when I work out how to put a photo on I will.

Carew- Take some nice pics of the rifle and put them on your computer. Start your post and click on "Upload a File" box. Then your photos or a file menu will pop up. Chose the photos one at a time. If you choose the thumbnail option, it makes it easier to post the copy for the pics. This photo was taken in 1957. Guess which kid is me.-Anyone.-Misako

Attachments

• img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 42
Wow Carew, you have fast phone connection!
I know quite a few, that made that call.
Congrats and share some photos soon.
Does your rifle have any other proof marks?
L-46

Latest posts

Back