• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Elk with L61R .300 H&H

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
I was lucky enough to draw a special early season Colorado rifle tag for cow elk this year, so I took a few days with a couple of friends and my son to try our luck in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. I took along one of the jewels of my Sako collection, a well-used but deadly accurate original L61R in .300 H&H loaded with my own concoction of 180 grain Accubonds.

Early Saturday morning I seated myself in a small stand of Aspens overlooking a meadow approximately 300 yards across. Only a few minutes after it was light enough to see, this cow elk ventured out of the timber into the meadow about 200 yards away. I could see that she was being followed by several more elk, and not wanting them to all get together in the meadow and thus risk mixing calves or spikes, I quickly put the crosshairs of the Leupold 3-10 VX-III on her behind the shoulder and sent a Nosler her way. At the shot she staggered, ran in a little circle, fell, tried to get up, then fell back still, less than ten steps from where she was standing at the time of the shot.

Upon field dressing her, the performance of the Accubond (at 2960 muzzle velocity) appeared near perfect. It entered just behind the shoulder and lodged in the offside skin after destroying the lungs. If you don't count one shattered rib, not an ounce of meat was lost.

Fortunately for my tired old bones and aching lungs at 10,000 feet elevation, my son was not far away so I fetched him to "help" with the field dressing (Dad mostly held the legs while Son did the hard part). It was a great hunt as the weather was mild, we saw lots of game, and one of our group who had a deer tag filled it with a respectable Mule Deer buck. 2014 elk 003 (1024x768).jpg

Here's the 180 grain Nosler Accubond recovered from the offside hide. It weighs 110 grains, or 61% of original weight. That's just a bit shy of the 2/3rds that Nosler shoots for in weight retention, but is close enough. Some people like for the bullet to sail on out the other side and expend its remaining energy on a rock or a tree. But this performance is just exactly what I like to see. accubond 001.JPG

CONGRATS STONECREEK - I used to hunt right off Route 70 near a little town called De Beque - saw lots of Mulies but very few Elk in that area, or at least when we were there. Only had deer tags anyway.
I'd say your Nosler performed as expected !!
Real glad to hear your son hunts and helps you out. I have 2 boys who love to hunt also and have been known to drag a deer or two for me.

Thanks for the story Stonecreek !!! This one has my interest a bit for a couple of reasons.

The .300H&H is one of my favorite calibers !, designed exactly for use on elk sized game, it's a classic belted magnum that many rounds have used as a foundation. Glad you got the cow with that great Sako rifle !!

The other aspect is we all should hunt and collect with family and closest friends! Glad Stonecreek and Marlin92 are still doing these wonderful things with family. My dad passed away last month, and he's the one that started the SAKO madness with me and my brother. One thing I've learned from all of this, and that's simply that life is just too short to not hunt with your granddad, dad and sons/daughters !! Still do so while you still can !!

great story/pic, thanks for sharing.
DeerGoose

DEERGOOSE - truly sorry to hear about your father. There isn't a day that goes by I don't think about my patents and the time we had together. Some people seem to hate their parents but I was lucky and would give anything to have my mother and father back. TOO many things are taken for granted and before you know it time slips by and there is no going back to do things you wish you would have.
Now when my boys ask what I want for fathers day or any other holiday I just tell them - I want to spend time with them and nothing else matters.
STONECREEK enjoy and cherish every moment !!

Well done stonecreek ! Impressive Elk, rifle, cal, load...
& good shot ! The hunting terrain looks really nice !
You must have felt pleased seeing this elk down .
That`s the way it should happen everytime..Right?
Every now and then the hunt just goes as You always expect it to go!!
Good Hunt !

RANE

Great stuff stonecreek ! I really enjoy hunting with my Sakos and enjoy seeing others doing the same. Great pics mate.

Stonecreek, Its always good to see pics and hear about classic Sakos being used for exactly what they were designed to do. Also agree with the others … there's no better family activity than hunting and all that goes with it. We need to make every effort while we can.

Well done! So much sweeter when the moment is shared with the people you care about the most. Looks delicious as well!! Marinade the steaks in virgin olive oil, BBQ rare, add salt to taste and enjoy!! Organic and hormone free. Congrats.

Way to go, stonecreek. She's a beautiful & healthy elk. She looks like she was pusihin' 500lbs.

BTW, while I don't own any .300 mag, were I to pick one up, it'd be the original .300 mag, the .300 H&H.

Love the post! I lost my favorite hunting partner when my Dad passed a few years back so I know that your hunt with your son is worth more than gold. Great hunt, great rifle, great company and great memories to cherish always.

Max 2013 deer 003 No Tongue - Copy (1280x1022).jpg
Well, there are three generations hunting together in the Stonecreek family. Here's my oldest grandson last December with his 8-point whitetail, taken with a Sako .308 Fullstock. The house in the background, now unoccupied, was my grandparents' -- his great-great grandparents. My grandfather took me hunting just a couple of miles from here for the first deer I ever killed.

Another fine mind gone to the forests and meadows of the fall. He will be dreaming of a ten-point, now.-Misako

Thanks Stonecreek for this post, its one of the best you've shared with us. All of it brings back the memories of those who have passed the love, the lore, and the tradition of hunting to us all. My father took me out for my first hunt, as his father did for him. My son's both hunt with me, and I have recently found the joy one feels when they see their grandson walking the same path that their young father once clambered on, not so long ago.
Holding legs, talking them through the first field dressing, all of it is so very worth passing on down. Thanks again Stone for sharing it.~Bloo

Hi deergoose,

May God comfort you as your dad dwells with Him.

My best memories of my dad were afield. I was with him when he killed his last buck. I was with him when he killed his last pheasant. He taught me the love of hunting. I miss him every single day.

My 21 year old son has no interest in big game hunting. He does enjoy shooting, but not hunting. I'm trying to get him to go deer hunting next season.

People who don't hunt have no idea of fond memories we have of hunting with our dads.

Great photo's Steve!

It's good to see hunting photo's of game taken with a Sako rifle. Also good to see photo's of our members so we can put a face to a name.

Thanks for taking the time to post them.

You're right Rocky, :DI had to smile about it when I saw him, then I started trying to put the face with his knowledge and his way with words and it all went to heck.:confused:~Bloo

Back