• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

sako .222 magnum

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I would say about 1950 but I would also think it may have been a .222Rem originally. Are you sure it is a 4 digit serial? Welcome to the SCC.-Misako

The 222 Rem Mag was developed my the military for the prototype AR 15 in 1958, but never adopted. It was introduced commercially by Remington shortly thereafter so something doesn't add up if your rifle has a serial # in the 5000's indicating VERY early 50's production as Misako said. Could you provide more info? Stampings on the barrel would be helpful. Pics would be great!

I'll guess that the SN is actually 58,XXX, so if that is the case it should be a very early L461 from about 1962. In my opinion, one of the most desirable Sakos if in good condition.

If it is actually a four-digit SN, then it is not likely a .222 Magnum, but rather is a .222 Rem. It is conceivable that it could have been rechambered, but the magazine for such a rifle would be much too short for the longer .222 Mag.

Gun has .222 magnum on one side L46 Finland RI I HI MAKI BoFers steel .FIVE DIGIT SERIAL number 584xx with lyman scope excellent condition thanks for any information on dating this fine Sako

Very interesting! An L46 with a number higher than some L461's. And, well after Sako had started stamping their .222 Mag L46's with the L469 stamp. Quite a curious one, but well within the capacity of Sako to mix numbers and models.

The latest L46 that I've heard of. If you have a free moment and are able, we'd like to see pics of your rifle. We love pretty pictures of Sako rifles on this website.

If your rifle is a deluxe model, I'm probably going to pass out.

DeerGoose

I have a L46 .222 MAG, H/B, S/N 553xx and a Vixen L 461 Vixen .222 MAG S/N 931xx. It seems to be quite a spread in S/N for this cal. Is this right??

Serial #'s have nothing to do with caliber. Not to mention they were two different models. L46's ended with serial # 57000. L461's started with 57001. Over 77,000 L461s were made in the first 10 years so a spread of 38000 isn't all that much & is well within the time frame the 222 Mag was chambered before being dropped as the 223 Rem became favored.

Just a heads up to everyone. Phillip emailed me pics & the CORRECT serial #, which is 54,XXX. It appears to be a L46 action with DBM bottom metal in an early L461 style & shape stock. My guess is that it is a "transition" gun from L46 production to L461 production or possibly one from the "second" run of L46's in the early 60's (1963??).

The first second run L46 was numbered about 80xxx. They produced about 2 thousand of them, with 222, 222mag and 7x33 being the most popular.
At the time the L461 was introduced, the stock timber was varied from a light to honey colour to darker stain.
The 222 mag built on the L46 and L469 actions where stamped with no consistency, at the same time, from its introduction, at about 40xxx through till the end of the second run. From what i have seen the only difference in the two rifles, was the '9'.
As far as the 222mag chambering goes it appeared in the L461 action, here in Australia up until about 130xxx serial number, when the sales dropped off, but it was chambered for the domestic market right through the A1 series.
L-46

As far as the 222mag chambering goes it appeared in the L461 action, here in Australia up until about 130xxx serial number, when the sales dropped off, but it was chambered for the domestic market right through the A1 series.
L-46

By "domestic market" do you mean Finland or Europe? I've never seen a .222 Mag A-I in the U.S. (There I go again saying "never" when you should never say "never" about Sakos!)

By "domestic market" do you mean Finland or Europe? I've never seen a .222 Mag A-I in the U.S. (There I go again saying "never" when you should never say "never" about Sakos!)
Finland, but i guess they could have found their way to Sweden as well.
Not sure what the trade agreement was at the time, between the two countries.
L-46

Very interesting that the A-I was chambered in .222 Mag but apparently not distributed in the U.S.! Not only can I not recall ever coming across an A-I .222 Mag here, but all the .222 Mags I can recall seeing on the L461 actions were the older ones with the "s" magazine release. It seems that no .222 Mags were imported to the U.S. after that period -- but maybe someone will post a photo to disabuse me of this notion.

TG just a day after we where talking about it!
That is a rare rifle over here!
L-46

Last edited:
Back