• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 With Odd Foregrip ??

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Gregori

I've been trying to research a rifle I have. I can't find any mention of it with the type of stock it has. The foregrip is enlarged from a standard stock. It does appear to be a factory stock.

It is a mid to late 1950s Sako Riihimaki .222 Remington L46. Serial # 8969. Apparently the 4-digit serial is sought after by collectors. It has the detachable magazine, marked .222. The rifle is in excellent condition. No visible defects but a few dents in the finish that are not deep enough to be scratches. Without accounting for the unusual foregrip, the value seems to be around $1500 to $1800. Cabela's Gun Library has a few listed for $1600 - $1800.

Mounted on it is a J.UNERTL scope 16x, Ser. # 44891. It is also in excellent condition. The scope's value seems to be $650 to $850, perhaps more.

Here are pics:

Sako 03.jpg

::
Sako 02.jpg

Sako 04.jpg

Sako 01.jpg

That is NOT a factory stock! I would guess it is a "one off" custom, as I have never seen such a configuration. Although rather odd it is nicely done. The scope probably has some collector value, but no useful value in todays era of top end optics. Rifle's value without scope is anybody's guess, but I wouldn't place it anywhere near your estimate. Depends on the buyer, but I wouldn't go more than $700 for the barreled action, as the stock has no value to me. To someone else it may have more value. I guess it's a matter of what purpose does this rifle serve? Front sight, odd stock, outdated scope & mounts, what's the sling for? The serial number would indicate very early 50's production date for the action. As it is not a factory original rifle the serial number is of no consequence with regard to it's value & there is no collector value for custom rifles. Can't say when the custom work was done.

Gregori

Thanks for posting photos of your Sako. Most collectors enjoy seeing any photos of any custom Sako's. Some . . . comments on the forum may sound harsh, but they are the product of an older cultural mentality.

You have a very interesting gun.
If you could post more photos with a little more lighting.

It seems that there is a rising collectors interest in the 1950's scopes. The old Weaver scopes, the work horse of the 50' and 60' are rising in price on Ebay.

Please take a look at the barrel for any Sako stamps.
A closeup photo of the front sling attachment would be of great interest.
And a photo of the scope mount on the barrel.
And a photo of the butt plate.

Welcome to the forum.

Gregori- Not that you would care, but I really like that rifle with the exception of the strange grip on the forend. Hard to imagine the workmanship that went into the stock. It looks very European in design and it should function as well as intended. Congrats on a very unique piece.-Misako

interesting rifle, the extension on the forearm is for an "artillery" hold when shooting off hand. Air gunners use it a lot as letting the forearm float is very important to getting any kind of consistency. Good example of a period piece that someone went to a lot of expense to get what they want.....imagine that concept....not that any of us spend a lot of money for gun safe art???

thanks for the photos . . . nice fiddleback stock.
Do you like the way she comes up in the offhand shooting position?

Asking for advice from serious Sako collectors.

If I found and bought a L46 with a scruffy action/barrel, but having a nice stock, then I swapped parts to have a nice original L46, with my 4-digit serial #, plus I'd have the custom stock on the less than pristine hardware.

Would the low serial hardware on the original style stock be worth top value? If the stock needed "improvement" would it significantly decrease the rifle's value by refinishing the stock?

Would the scruffy hardware on my custom stock be worth something to someone?

Thanks.

If that Unertl has a 2" objective, it is an Ultra Varmint and will command a pretty price. I sold a pristine one two years ago for 1,000.00. I would sell the glass and buy an early stock with the proceeds. I would expect a long search and a hefty tag on the factory stock if and when I found it. The rifle is a beauty, probably a great shooter, but it isn't a collectible Sako as it sits. As far as the earlier serial number is concerned, I like them, have many firearms with them, reach just a tad further for them, but that's just me. I'm not sure at all if others share my enthusiasm for them.

Once someone drilled into that rear dovetail and barrel to mount that scope all value from a collectors standpoint went out the window. As for the serial number, well most guys are looking for that left wing safety before they dig a little deeper into their pockets. From my standpoint your big issue is the extra holes in the metal. If the stock is objectionable from a shooting standpoint I would spend the money to remove it and continue the checkering around the bottom. As for buying another L46 that has scruffy metal and a mint stock, well those don't usually go together, ie both will be worn. Swapping the stock won't get rid of the extra holes. If the metal was mint(no holes) then swapping a period correct stock would make sense but would not return you any extra value once you factor in the loss of value on the donor. As for the "scruffy hardware" on your original stock, it's best left in place, that stock does have value.

If it were mine I would look for another aftermarket stock, leave that one alone and shoot it. If your looking for "collector" value your looking in the wrong direction, that rifle is a shooter.

Looks like some one notched it, probably to keep it from moving. Also the barrel has been drilled for the front scope base. The notches don't help it but at least their not drilled on the flats, bottomline it's a shooter. The rear cutout is factory for the indexing pin on the factory rings.

Latest posts

Back