• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Buyers Remorse- Sakos

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

misako50

Sako-addicted
Just read CMJRs post about buying a Sako and wondering if he caved due to weakness. I would like to hear about some of the Sakos our membership has bought and the ensuing regret that created.-Misako

The only remorse I've had is over Sakos I didn't buy! Or maybe a couple I sold. Never experienced remorse over buying one.

My only regret, thus far, is not being able to find any manual/printed material for the P72 in .22lr I recently purchased. Don't speak Finnish but sent them an e-mail requesting help. Will keep at it.

I doubt cmjr has any regret in his purchases. But, I certainly understand the caving part. I have very little control when it comes to buying a Sako that I do not already have. I am getting to the point that I am buying duplicates and most will never be used. lol

Hey Stone and Chuck!!!!

He's kidding.......right???!!
Not really kidding but I was interested in hearing about purchases that turned out to be less than expected or even misrepresented. I've had one L57 that had been rechambered and modified to a 6mm.284 that I had to send back because the action was very sloppy from wear. The bolt would bind if it would be operated at "normal" speed.-Misako

Well...my biggest remorse of NOT buying a Sako happen only
three years ago.We were at the gun show here in northern Alberta
when a friend of mine spotted a FinnWolf on the table...Mint .308
Beautiful blond French walnut stock & very rich deep bluing...
not a scratch on this Wolf.The guy was asking 1400 CAD $.Now I
started to think...do I need another gun and what for?Finally
I decided to go home and think it over.It was around 4:00 PM.
At 5:30 I had made up my mind and I immediately called the Guy!
The Guy was still there but the Wolf wasn't !! How could I miss this
purchase....I must had suffered a temporary insanity !
Still rankles me about four times a month !

RANE

I can't say I have regretted any SAKO purchase I have made, but sometime wonder if there is a SAKO anonymous meeting I should be attending. Although my FFL dealer would swear I have no problem as his income would go down if I was reformed. LOL I swore the only other one I was going to try to pick up was an 06 Deluxe and since then I have bought 3 others SAKOs and still no 06. Oh well still have something to look forward to.

That is only one benefit . . . when you marry a cougar. She bought me a set of collector finnwolfs back in the 90's.

I was interested in hearing about purchases that turned out to be less than expected or even misrepresented. Misako

I've experienced surprisingly few of those.

Perhaps the Sako I've received in the worst condition was an L61R .300 H&H which was misrepresented as a .300 Winchester (Oh, please, Br'er Fox, don't throw me in that briar patch!) It had pitting on the barrel, the bottom metal was bent due to being reassembled with the magazine box not seated, and the ancient, non-working Weatherby scope was mounted in something approximating hose clamps.

I straightened the bottom metal, cleaned the corrosion off of the barrel, and mounted a Leupold in proper rings in order to test fire it before sending it for restoration. When it refused to shoot any group larger than 3/4" I decided it would be foolish to mess with a gun which shoots so well, so I've touched up the barrel blue and otherwise left it in its original condition. It actually doesn't look bad -- just has lots of "character". Next week I'll take it in pursuit of early season elk and will hopefully have a positive report on its performance.

I did once buy (via internet auction) an L46 Deluxe which had an undisclosed pin repair in the wrist. But the price I had paid was reasonable and I eventually resold it to a guy to whom I not only pointed out the pin repair, but let him shoot it on my personal range before committing to buy. I offered it to him at the same price I had paid and he was happy to get it.

Was looking at a non-Sako .22 rifle on Gunbroker recently. The description represented it to be in excellent condition with "no surprises". But if you looked closely at one of the photos you could see a chunk of wood missing just behind the tang. Surprise, surprise! Fortunately, very few sellers intentionally misrepresent their offerings. The most frequent problem I find with Sako sellers is that they simply don't know what they've got and will parrot phrases like "pre-Garcia" and "Deluxe", when they rifles they are offering are neither.

I let a pristine Bofors 'Wolf get away many years ago. Those are so hard to find with open sites and casket bottom magazine, which this one had. I was a damn fool.

DeerGoose

My latest buying excursion was not one Sako but two, a A1 6PPC Hunter and the A1 17 Rem. Probably picked them up for slightly less than retail and both show no signs of ever being fired. Then the seller, a gentleman I've bought from before and local to me, pulls out one of the nicest Martini Customs built by Virgin Valley I've ever seen, wearing a Leupold 6x18 and Talley rings. Needless to say it was a very expensive day, add to that I have at last count, well let me just say I have 7 large gun safes and a lot of Sako's that I very seldom shoot. So, to sum it up....I'm very weak when someone says Sako or Martini, need doesn't factor into it, and something that resides in those safes has to go. I prefer to call it culling and not weak mindedness....but....

Last edited:
When I moved to Alaska back in 1974 I bought a used Sako Finnbear in 7mm Rem mag. It was used. The gun shot horribly so I took it back to where I bought it and talked to the store owner. I got my money back and purchased another rifle in the same caliber. One thing I've found out about the older Sakos. They get them to shoot right at the factory and any time someone goes to tinkering with success they get disappointed. I have a feeling someone did just that with the rifle.

Hey Guys...I've been wanting to post on this subject, I wanted to see some of the replies first...And wait until my last accidental Sako purchase arrived;)

I have cronic sakosis...it is uncurable. I bought my first about 8 yrs. ago and since then I have probably bought or traded 15 more. I will say...I have never been completely unsatistfied or remorseful. I have had a couple that have been bedded..one cracked stock (the worst incident)..and so on. I don't buy them to collectors standards ( tho' I aways hope they are) because I hunt and shoot all of them from time to time. I don't or at least try not to pay collectors prices for them either. Most of them I keep, but some get sold or traded away. I've never lost money on any of them.

Traders Remorse is more my thing...the ones I let go. The ones I learn more about after they're gone. I sold the very first one I bought for way more than I paid and I find myself wondering where she is now...I traded one for two pistols worth twice as much as what I had in mine...the guy kept it for over a year. I called him a couple weeks ago with intentions of maybe bringjng her back home and she was gone...it was depressing.:(

Now...let me tell you about my last find...the "accident"
As it was, I found an interesting Finnbear De Luxe in 30-06 on GB..Bofors...and in really nice shape...some handling and hunting dings in the wood. the metal over all was about 90% with some thinning on the bottom metal from carry. A very worthy shooter. I bid a very low-ball wager and left it alone thinking full well that it would go for way more. Two days after the end of the auction (that I had forgotten about) I noticed it and a few others had dropped off my watch list...then I noticed that in the side bar, listed beside the 'won' link there was a number (1)!!! Much to my surprise I found out that I needed to call my FFL guy because I won the damn thing for far less than I would have ever dreamed. It got here the other day and it is just gorgeous...range report to follow soon. It shoots just like all the other ones...which is what gave me this terrible uncurable affliction... Sakosis

Yes Scotty Bee...I still have that one too...If it leaves my possesion it will be because of you Bro'

Peace ya'll
Bloo

bloorooster,

Sakosis! I love it! You don't have to identify symptoms for me. I know I have it.

I bought my first Sako just over 20 years ago: an AV Classic in 7MM Rem Mag. That gun will shoot sub-MOA all day long. I have had it bedded & it's trigger releases at about 3 pounds.

I've wanted another AV in .270 Win. I just bought one. It's in transit as I write this. I have waiter's remorse. I want it now! I have a Leupold 2.5x8 I might put on her, or a leupold Vari-X II 3x9, or I might just pick up a leupold 3.5x10. I ain't yet have got that part figured out.

Like you, I'm a hunter. On Sept 14 of this year, right at nearing sundown, I put a 160 Partition right where I was aiming, through a 900lb+ bull's heart. At the shot, I shot the huge bull's knees buckle. I knew I had hit him hard. My guide asked if it were possible that I missed. Nope. I hit him right where I was aiming. One shot from my Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag, one dead and very huge bull.

For North America, my 7MM Rem Mag will kill what I intend to hunt. But since I love the .270 Win, I will take it to the same place that I've killed that huge bull, but next time I'll be hunting trophy mule deer bucks. And I ain't too far from a desert bighorn tag...I hope. He'll get Sakosis in .270 Win.

I haven't had any experience with modified Sakos, so I can opine on them. However, if you find a Sako that's untouched or a new one, it at all possible, buy it.

It there'a a cure for Sakosis, I want no part of it. I want more Sakos.

Hello SansSouci and welcome! Good to hear about Sako's in the field!
On the subject of the wait...its excruciating. I usually lose 3-5 lbs from the stress per rifle. The weight comes back quickly afterwards. :D

A Leupold Scope is always a good choice. The VXIII's in 2.5x8 are supernice...I have one on my .308 win. The older VXIIc's are also very clear, some even better than the VXIII's...any Leupy will do.

The 270 win. is a great all around cartridge! I hunted the first 15 years with that caliber and never had any problems other than some meat loss. I hunt Whitetails here mostly so 130g pills were my favorite. Of late I have been hunting with .243's and .308s...Sako Accuracy makes shot placement much better and the triggers break as soon as you think about shooting. It really doesn't get any better.

Don't forget to let us know how the new 270 shoots...with photos of huge Muley racks and stuff!~Bloo

Latest posts

Back