• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

advice on my new A7 roughtech

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

AK SAKO

hello all, new here.
just got my first sako, after having great success with two tikka t 3's.

I have the sako a7 roughtech , with the stainless action and what looks to be a bell and Carlson stock. chambering 30-06

so far I have about 50 rounds down the pipe with different ammo. the results are not good so far or what I expected.
have tried accubonds, hornaday gmx, and hornaday interlocks.
all three seem to have mixed results, I will get 2-3 shots with very good results, and then one will be 2 inches away from the group.all factory ammo.

looking for suggestions.......scope is a leupold vx 3 4.5-14, brand new, with leupold rings on the weaver style bases on the a7. everything is tight and looks good.

my two tikka's will shoot 1-1.25 inches with the same type of ammo, one in 308 and the other in 300 win.

anybody else have experience like this or advice?

Drop the Weaver bases.
I did notice either on the sako website or the owners manual, that they recommend to change out the bases if the gun has " heavy use". what they mean by that I don't know but it doesn't make them sound great.
anybody know what there is to substitute the bases for?

If I recall correctly the A7 is the economy version of the Model 75 & it has the Sako dovetails machined into the top of the receiver, so bases of any kind are not necessary if you use ringmounts that clamp directly to the dovetails.

If I recall correctly the A7 is the economy version of the Model 75 & it has the Sako dovetails machined into the top of the receiver, so bases of any kind are not necessary if you use ringmounts that clamp directly to the dovetails.
The a7 roughtech has the aluminum weaver type bases screwed into the receiver. There is no milling as the 85's have.
I did find some steel bases that seem to fit the leupold qrw rings much better.
Will try them and post results later.

I learn something all the time. Not familiar with the "roughtech". The one and only A7 I saw had dovetails, I think. Check your action screws & try some more ammo of different bullet weights.

Update...
I did install the weaver style steel bases and took out the aluminum ones.
the grooves in the steel ones were a much better fit with the leupold qrw rings, since the groove on the aluminum ones were wider, not as good a fit as steel.
today got two four shot groups at 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

AK- A picture of the rifle should be in order, especially since it should be a revered shooter for anyones' collection .

AK Sako , I have the same rifle and scope combo as you do !

Can you let me know what steel mounts you used ? (brand, model). I would like to upgrade mine as well. Thanks ! great info

Back