• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Trio of varmints

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sako 22 250

Picked up my new 85 varmint laminated stainless in 243 today

Looking forward to taking it to the range Friday
Then up to the high country for the weekend!!
Scope is Zeiss duralyt 3-12 x50
Optilock base & rings
Other 2 varmints sako 85 22-250 & tikka t3 308 image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks very nice and the Duralyt really suits it. The Duralyts weren't much of a hit over here for some reason - maybe the 30mm tube? However, people are really raving about the new Zeiss terra's which have recently just become available over here and very competitively priced. Does your new 85 have the set trigger?

Hi Topgear
No set trigger as I am more than happy with the std trigger on my 85 22-250

The duralyt reminds me of my old Pecars

( thats what they would be fitted with if they still made them)

The optics from the duralyts are clear and bright
Regards Mark

Yes its certainly a pity pecar went out of business. They still bring pretty good money too when found second hand.

I'm thinking of giving one of the zeiss terra's a try soon.

Anyway make sure you remember to let us know how it performs in the field this weekend!

Had a great weekend up in the high country
Sighted it at little river on Friday only took 1 session and 10 shots
Last 5 shots easy grouped under 1 inch ( got to love sako's)
On Saturday after noon we took up position overlooking a warren with healthy rabbit numbers
While we were waiting for the bunnies to poke their heads out
A fox trotted onto the top of the ridge and sat
My Son bagged his first fox with the new sako ... A top shot we paced out 300 m
He placed the cross hairs on the foxes nose and it hit middle of the chest
The 243 is flat using the 55g Winchester silver tips
We got 3 more foxes that afternoon
Made for a great first outing with the new sako image.jpg

Those 85 Laminated Varmints are an awesome rifle.
I have a pair of the 20 inch barreled ones in 223 and 308. Heavy enough to shoot beautifully accurately and light enough to carry around on foot.

I didnt bother with the set trigger either. I have mine lightened as low as I dare go for a field hunting rifle and I dont need the added complication of the set trigger - I try to follow the KISS principle as much as possible!

Guess I should post up some pics of them in action!

Great trio. I really like your new one with the Ziess on top. Fantastic setup. Do you find the 12x adequate for the job out to 300m? I'm thinking that 12x would be pretty perfect.

Gary , I am more than happy with this power for rabbits @ foxes out to 300m
I have only moved to 12 x scopes in the last 2 years prior to that all my long range shooting was via 8 x Pecars ,
A mate of mine has a vx3 loopy 4.5 -14 x 50mm on a tikka 223 varmint
its great for long range bunny busting......... he regularly has successful shots out to 400m with this set up
Regards Mark

Thanks Sako 22 550. I'm recently interested in a varminter in .223 and scope selection is something I am playing with. I have a 3 - 12 x 42 scope at the moment and I feel it will do the job out to a very maximum 300m. Your info is much appreciated. Thanks.

My son & I headed up to the high country on the weekend to help a friend muster cattle, on Saturday afternoon after duties were done , we headed out to the back block to whistle foxes , we parked the ute off the road and headed to towards the spot we wanted to whistle from
We had gone no more than 50 yards and my son noticed flickering in a image.jpg wattle stand about 200 yards across the paddock , a quick look throught the scope and he confirmed it was a fallow buck bedded down ,as the ground was open between our position and the buck we decided he should take the shot from where we were,the 243 round hit the buck in the neck , as aimed ,the buck sprung up ran 80yds and dropped
My son and the 85 243 stainless varmint had their first fallow buck
Not a huge rack ,but as its his first it will be mounted
Fridge is also now full of venison
It was the quickest hunt I have ever had but I am sure it will be one we will never forget
Regards Mark

Nice shooting by your son, Mark. Neck shots at 20oyds on fallow is not something I could do confidently enough to attempt.

There is nothing quite as rewarding as a Dad hunting with his son - beats solo hunting (especially when there is meat to be packed out). And there is something rather appealing in a hunt which knocks a deer over only 250yds from your truck! - David

David
My son is a much steadier shot than I am, I think it takes me too long these days to stop the heavy breathing after walking! I am now much better suited to whistling in foxes or spotlighting from the back of the ute!
Last time we carried a fallow out of this block it was a good mile carry ( and it was only a small doe) see pic
Topgear
yes much better being near the Ute
We always try to carry out as one of my sons mates has a cool room we can use to age the full venison
Also attached a is pic of the Vension roast daughter in law cooked.. Delicious
Regards Mark image.jpg image.jpg

Latest posts

Back