• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Tikka t3 in .223...magazine problem

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

airfoil

Hello all, new member here

I have recently purchased a .223 T3 varmint and it's a tack-driver.

My problem is the extended magazine (holds 6 rounds) will not reliably feed. It will not pick up the third or forth round. The cartridge will tip up too far and will not allow the bolt to push it in. The 4 round mag works fine...so far.

There seems to be a small amount of wear to the front feed lips of this plastic magazine which allows the bullet to "porpoise" up too far.

I have written Berretta and have purchased a new one which after about 60 shots developed the same symptoms.

At this point I have taped some aluminum to the rear of the follower to keep the brass up high enough to load...a temporary fix, I'm sure.

My questions..do any Sako mags work in a Tikka? Have any of you fellas heard of this before (it seems it is common).

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

Hi airfoil

Welcome to the forum. It seems a common thing on many of the T3's sold out here in Australia. A mate had one with the same issue and you hear about it a bit. Beretta have been offering replacement mags but the problem seems to come back every few hundred rounds for many.

I'm not aware of any sako mag that will fit the T3. I reckon someone will come out with a fool proof aftermarket mag soon as by all accounts and what I've seen the rifles are certainly tack drivers and very good value for the money. Its just a shame some seem to have the mag issue.

Hi airfoil

Welcome to the forum. It seems a common thing on many of the T3's sold out here in Australia. A mate had one with the same issue and you hear about it a bit. Beretta have been offering replacement mags but the problem seems to come back every few hundred rounds for many.

I'm not aware of any sako mag that will fit the T3. I reckon someone will come out with a fool proof aftermarket mag soon as by all accounts and what I've seen the rifles are certainly tack drivers and very good value for the money. Its just a shame some seem to have the mag issue.

I was afraid of that...

People here in the States talk about making a 10 round mag for the Tikka bottom metal, but no one has yet...

I hear the other option is to install some AI type bottom metal and use their mags...but they are 10 rounds only...and just as expensive as Tikka.
But at least they are reliable.

I guess I'll use the 4 rounder for now, at least that one works as intended.

Thanks Mate! (how's the weather down there? summertime and 75 here...:)

I was afraid of that...

People here in the States talk about making a 10 round mag for the Tikka bottom metal, but no one has yet...

I hear the other option is to install some AI type bottom metal and use their mags...but they are 10 rounds only...and just as expensive as Tikka.
But at least they are reliable.

I guess I'll use the 4 rounder for now, at least that one works as intended.

Thanks Mate! (how's the weather down there? summertime and 75 here...:)

I have made a improvement it seems, taking the mag apart and stretching the back of the spring to give the follower about a 30 degree tilt downward in the front seemed to help. We will see...I've only racked about 20 rounds through, but I'm hoping...

Hello Airfoil,
Now 4 years on and I do not know if you have resolved your T3 issues

But, I had the same problem with my new Tikka T3 Super Varmint .223 polymer 6-round magazine (2016). Less than 200 rounds and the cartridge was mis-feeding because of "lip-wear" on the front of the magazine guide rails; the cartridge nose rode up and the head lowered where the bolt did not engage . Its a saga that's been running on the Stalking Directory for the last 18 months and I'm now on my 5th replacement T3 magazine, all under warranty. Fortunately a chap in Australia, "Mountainstalker" has come to my rescue and provided the information I required to resolve this issue with GMK who are the UK Importers.

I Quote:- "The problem is calibre specific to .223 mostly. worst if you use Lapua brass. Lapua cases chew the plastic lips out as the bolt drives them forward. Tikka here (Australia) replace the original mags with steel lipped factory versions for a small fee. Beretta are well aware of the issue globally, It's been going on for almost 10 years now!" - Unquote

Hope this helps in resolving your T3 magazine issue.
Regards
Royr

Hello Airfoil,
Now 4 years on and I do not know if you have resolved your T3 issues

But, I had the same problem with my new Tikka T3 Super Varmint .223 polymer 6-round magazine (2016). Less than 200 rounds and the cartridge was mis-feeding because of "lip-wear" on the front of the magazine guide rails; the cartridge nose rode up and the head lowered where the bolt did not engage . Its a saga that's been running on the Stalking Directory for the last 18 months and I'm now on my 5th replacement T3 magazine, all under warranty. Fortunately a chap in Australia, "Mountainstalker" has come to my rescue and provided the information I required to resolve this issue with GMK who are the UK Importers.

I Quote:- "The problem is calibre specific to .223 mostly. worst if you use Lapua brass. Lapua cases chew the plastic lips out as the bolt drives them forward. Tikka here (Australia) replace the original mags with steel lipped factory versions for a small fee. Beretta are well aware of the issue globally, It's been going on for almost 10 years now!" - Unquote

Hope this helps in resolving your T3 magazine issue.
Regards
Royr

I had the same problems with my 223 Tikka Tactical when using long 75 and 77 grain bullits. I converted to Accuracy International and MDT 223 (10 rnd) mags using appropriate floor plates (Badger M5 etc).

SAM_0424.JPG SAM_0421.JPG SAM_0425.JPG

Resolving the premature front lip wear/misfeeds with plastic T3/T3X magazines there is now a Modified Plastic/metal magazine available in UK from importers GMK. These T3/T3x modified magazines appear to originate from TIKKA Australia.

After a 22 Month saga I now have resolution to the premature front lip wear/misfeeds of the .223 plastic magazine - worn out after 200 rounds.

Under warranty, I collected my free, complementary modified T3 .223 magazine from Tikka importers GMK, at Wilson & Wilson RFD, Ramsgate, this Friday morning.

1st picture, top view:- The metal insert is made from one piece, which has been cut and bent to go inside the existing plastic case, the front section of the guide rails have been cut back. For Reloaders there is an extra 0.020" (20thou) of OAL @ 2.320". - in .223, assume other calibres will be same?
2nd picture:- the bolt pick-up is now more robust as can be seen, in that the modified metal mag has lifted the cartridge head higher, with some of the primer now showing.
3rd picture:- front view showing the cut back guide rails. (click a photo image to see full picture)

Phoning GMK and inquiring about price of modified T3/T3X magazines, they've given me a ballpark figure of £75 plus or minus whatever the RFD/Gunshop mark-up may be. Also GMK have a range of these metal modified T3/T3X magazines in stock to suite most T3/T3X calibres.
I would urge anyone finding themselves in a similar position to myself within the warranty period to claim a replacement metal magazine under warranty - free of charge.

My sincere thanks to "Mountainstalker", Sydney, Australia, for providing the crucial information which has given me resolution on this matter.

Best regards
RoyR

PS. I have used magazine these last 3 nights and it feeds silky smooth, so bodes well!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back