• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

85 Classic in .375 H&H

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

NorthGaAir that's a great looking Sako 85 in a very serious calibre, what will you hunt with it?
Regards Mark

NGA- I agree that that is a handsome rifle. Our local Scheels sporting Goods store has been very lax about putting Sako brand rifles on display in the stores. Tikkas are there but nothing I have a great interest in just to look at. They told me they would have one of the classics on display in a few weeks so I can't wait to get my hands on one. I didn't ask what action size or chambering it would be in.-Misako

Gorgeous wood. I'd drop that scope down a bit. Won't get a cheek weld and could dot your eye.....awesome rifle.

Gorgeous wood. I'd drop that scope down a bit. Won't get a cheek weld and could dot your eye.....awesome rifle.

Any lower scope mounting and the spent brass hits the scope and bounces back into the loading area. This was an unexpected feature. Since I wanted to use it as a repeater and after dangerous game, I had to mount it a little higher. It still works.

It seems like the brass hitting on the scope turret is a common problem on the 75/85 series sako's with low mounts? I don't own a 75/85 sako but plenty of people mention it as an issue. Is it a factor of the three lug bolt and the ejector being in a different spot?

I love my old L61 .375 bofors and have a old leupold x3 in the old style low rings - see below. No issues whatever with ejection and the old style low rings are very low. Having it mounted low I think helps in handling and recoil as well. It also makes it easy to carry one handed between the thumb and fingers when walking.

One guy I saw overcome the problem on the 75/85 series by rotating the scope 90 degrees anticlockwise so the elevation turret became the windage and vice versa.

Very nice bit of walnut in your 85 NorthGaAire. It will look good photographed over some big game!

Cheers John

Attachments

• sako low.jpg
    sako low.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 24
A bloke sent me a link to this video
which appears to show a sako black bear ejected cases hitting on a scope turret. I find it hard to believe they are hitting with so much force to cause the case damage shown in the video?

I really don't have too much experience with the newer 85 sako's but find this a little hard to believe? Are people with 85's getting the issues as shown in this video with such damage to cases with low mounted scopes?

That's one problem I have not had with either of my 85 Finnlights or my 75 Finnlight and I have mount their scopes as low as I can - David

Yeah I must say I find it hard to believe the extractor can hold it so hard to cause the damage shown. I thought it would have popped out before it could cause so much case deformation?

I have 2 85 varmints and my mate who I hunt with all the time has a 85 hunter ....... Both of us had never had a issue with ejected cases-Mark

Hi All,
I have a sako 85 laminated ss in 204 which is used for spotlighting mostly
I have a 6x leupold mounted as low as possible and used to have an issue with cases hitting the scope and not ejecting properly.
Solution : rotate scope 90 deg now works fine

I changed to Leupold QD Bases and Medium QD rings - mounted the scope just a little lower. No brass interference so far. I will try to post pics soon.

Back