• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Transition rifle or bolt replacement?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

foothills

I have been lucky enough to acquire a .308 mannlicher, aii347xxx , that may have had 3 rds down the pipe. The rifle has no visible import marks ( i have not removed the stock and likely won't any time soon) and there is no model stamp on the barrel just the sako .308 and the made in finland stamps. The weird thing is the bolt is the non-shrouded version and I think it may even be the version with the pin. Understanding that this rifle would be in the serial range of manufacture 1979-81, and an aii, it seems strange the bolt is the older version. The rifle was acquired from a Canadian Serviceman, whom was likely in europe and may have purchased it there, and leads me to believe i have a bit of an odd duck transition rifle. Has anyone seen an Aii action with an older bolt?
cheers,

Last edited:
Hi foothills, No I have never seen this before, not at least with an older bolt as yours seems to be. It was common for the newer bolts shroud to be installed on the L series actions i.e. L461 L61R and L579). There should be a serial number the same as stamped on the action, hand engraved under the bolt handle. This should tell if the bolt is original to the action.
Cheers,

foothills, as sraaw said look for the serial number on the bolt handle ( may just have the last three of the action numbers) Hard to say why you may have the old style on an AII , maybe the firing pin assembly has been changed, If it is the sleeve with the pin (which is indicative of the model 74 super) remember Sako never wasted parts and they could have easily used parts they had left over. Your AII serial is not that far out of the model 74 super range. Pictures would be nice. Just my 2 cents, good luck with your rifle. Jim

Yes, do check to see if the bolt has a serial number (or the last three digits of a serial number) electropencil engraved on its underside. If it doesn't match the SN on the receiver then it is a replacement. If it has no serial number then it is likely a replacement as Sako sold replacement bolts without serial numbers on them.

As the years went by, Sako (or its importers) tended to keep fewer and fewer spare parts. It is possible that the bolt from your A-II was lost and the only bolt available was one for an L579. It is also possible that the bolt is original to the rifle and is simply one of those era "mismatches" that we often come across with Sakos.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg The bolt is engraved and does not match the receiver. I doubt the bolt was ever lost , most likely a supply chain feature !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 7
I think it would have been unlikely it would have left the factory with the bolt engraved different to the receiver. possible but i think unlikely.

Certainly a very nice looking rifle;)

foothills, I think we would all be surprised at the number of bolts that have been lost or misplaced and that is what I believe happened here. Also a possibility the bolts were accidently installed in the wrong rifle at some point during periodic maintenance. I do not believe that happened at the factory. I think I would have the rifle head spaced just to make sure there are no problems there and certainly check with the person where you obtained the rifle, the answer may be found . It sure would be nice to find the original bolt. Good luck Jim

problem solved, the bolt is for another sako the older gentleman has and serial matches with that rifle. I should have the proper bolt soon.... and most likely will post that it is the shrouded version found on the Aii.

And thank you for the information as I may have merrily went on my way without the help of this site.
cheers,

It is unbelievably common for people to either mix their bolts when maintaining a rifle, or to store bolts separately then install them in the wrong rifle when taking them out to shoot (or lose them entirely.) As others have said, you're really lucky to get the matched bolt and receiver back together!

I've never understood the rationale of removing the bolt to store a rifle. It's like setting yourself up for disaster. I have a friend that does that so he can get more rifles into his gun safe. He rarely shoots and when he moved he came up one bolt short, doesn't have a clue what happened to it. Admits he hasn't opened up that safe in a year or two(probably more like 5yrs). Revise my last post, buy 2 lotto tickets.

problem solved, the bolt is for another sako the older gentleman has and serial matches with that rifle. I should have the proper bolt soon.... and most likely will post that it is the shrouded version found on the Aii.

And thank you for the information as I may have merrily went on my way without the help of this site.
cheers,
I had that happen to me on a L46 I "won". I specifically asked before bidding if the numbers matched. When it arrived the numbers didn't match so I called him to tell him it was going to come back and why. He checked and sure enough same problem as yours. We just exchanged bolts.-Mike

Thought I would post a couple of pics of the .308 now that I have the matched bolt installed. I don't think this rifle was ever fired... But that won't last for long !
Thanks again to those who responded to the earlier post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 16
Hello cmjr,

Our Firearms Enquiry Officers here In the United Kingdom encourage us to keep our bolts separate from our rifles in case of theft, but it is not mandatory only advisory. I tend not to, although a lot of blokes I know do keep their bolts separate, usually in another gun safe. One particular friend keeps his shotgun forends in his rifle safe and his rifle bolts in his shotgun safe. We live in a very low crime area, so I am not so vigilant as him.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike The Limey

Back