• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 claw mount base removal

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

JerryA

G'day All,
After owning many modern Sako's over the past 20 years I recently had an opportunity to purchase an L46 222, complete with Kahles scope, and couldnt help myself. I am about to give it all a good clean and have hit a snag with removing the rear claw mount base. I have given it a light wrap with hardwood and a hammer thinking it may be a similar style of fitting as the Redfield bases but it wont budge. I have attached a few pics and would appreciate any advice on how to remove it.
Thanks very much for your help.
JerryView attachment 6217 View attachment 6218 View attachment 6219 View attachment 6220

Hi Jerry

Welcome to the forum. I can't view the photo's in your post for some reason but I would guess they would be soldered on which is quiet common for this style of mount. This would be a similar situation to the front claw base which is probably soldered on the barrel using a ring?

Is there a reason you want to remove it? I would leave it on unless you plan on removing the mounts completely and discarding them. If you want to remove them hit them with some heat from a propane blow torch which will melt the solder and allow them to be removed. However when removed it will need to be re-blued.

Cheers John

Hi Jerry

Welcome to the forum. I can't view the photo's in your post for some reason but I would guess they would be soldered on which is quiet common for this style of mount. This would be a similar situation to the front claw base which is probably soldered on the barrel using a ring?

Is there a reason you want to remove it? I would leave it on unless you plan on removing the mounts completely and discarding them. If you want to remove them hit them with some heat from a propane blow torch which will melt the solder and allow them to be removed. However when removed it will need to be re-blued.

Cheers John

G'day John, thanks for the welcome, getting back to me and your advice. As you have suggested the front ring is definitely soldered so it can stay put as will the rear now I have learnt its soldered aswell.
The main reason for removal is to mount another scope more suitable for my style of hunting as I like to use my rifles as much as possible. The 2.3-7 Kahles on it is a very nice example but has a No.1 reticle which is in the FFP and gets quite large when wound up. Given your advice I may try it out and see how I go. Failing that it may be a special occasion gun. The other option of course is to purchase another scope with a more prefferable reticle.
Regards
Jerry

Hi Jerry

Cheers John
Maybe these can be viewed 009.JPG 008.JPG

Yes those photos came through. Hard to tell from the photo's if its soldered or not. You could try a little heat if you wanted once removed from the stock.

Probably a very expensive setup in its day. You can pick up a 2.3-7 kahles super helia with a cross reticle not too hard if the rings are screw apart ? but they may also be soldered onto the scope?

In my opinion its probably a shame to change it and I would definitely give the original setup a go before you change it.

It would be nice to see some pictures of the rifle and scope together if you get a chance.

Cheers John

Yes those photos came through. Hard to tell from the photo's if its soldered or not. You could try a little heat if you wanted once removed from the stock.

Probably a very expensive setup in its day. You can pick up a 2.3-7 kahles super helia with a cross reticle not too hard if the rings are screw apart ? but they may also be soldered onto the scope?

In my opinion its probably a shame to change it and I would definitely give the original setup a go before you change it.

It would be nice to see some pictures of the rifle and scope together if you get a chance.

Cheers John
Will take your advice and leave as is for now, would love to be able to easily remove the current scope/rings set up and store whilst I use something more modern, have a few sets of rings plus a spare Kahles not being used. Please see attached pics, the Arctic Birch stock is begining to grow on me. Overall metalwork is quite nice and bore is a solid 9/10. The mounts are not soldered onto the scope so may be able to pick up another as per your suggestion. Im looking forward to shooting it.
002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG L46.JPG

Hi Jerry,
That is a fantastic rifle you have found. As much as I also like looking through a modern scope I would sure try to adapt to using that beauty as it is. Hope it works out well for you.

Cheers.

Hi Jerry,
That is a fantastic rifle you have found. As much as I also like looking through a modern scope I would sure try to adapt to using that beauty as it is. Hope it works out well for you.

Cheers.

Cheers mate, The scope itself is bright and clear so its just a matter of getting used to the reticle which Im sure will come in time. Will still keep my eyes out for another railed one with 4A or cross hairs.
Regards

Latest posts

Back