• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Is a Sako L579 good for 1000 yards?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Faust

Thread title says it all...
I'm interested in how far I could go, if I were an accurate shooter.
Do you think the rifle is good for this distance, given the ammo and shooter are up to par?
I honestly don't have the slightest idea.
Your take on this topic is welcome!

If you're shooting paper, yes, with quality handloads your rifle enjoys shooting. CXP2 or CXP3 game, no.

If you're shooting paper, yes, with quality handloads your rifle enjoys shooting. CXP2 or CXP3 game, no.
Yes, it's paper only. I don't even have a hunting license.
I wouldn't think of shooting animals at this distance anyway, I'm not that good.

The question should be is the "caliber" good for shooting 1000 yard targets. Any action can be used, but it's more about the combination of action, caliber, barrel, optics, stock & how they are configured that will determine how well you do. A sporting/hunting rifle of any brand would not be my first choice, but there is nothing that should stop you from trying it. Finding the scope & mount combination that will allow you to zero @ 1000 yards will be your first requirement. Like they say, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Good Luck!!!

It's more about the bullet becoming unstable as it becomes transonic. You could load the round to max or more to keep it supersonic at 1000 yards but that has its' own problems!

Thanks guys for the input!
Ricksengines, I can't see that far too as my scope is good for 100m but not for 300...I guess.
I know a great part of the equation is the ammo.
But I'm going to try anyway, once I mastered the 100m distance to my satisfaction.

Thread title says it all...
I'm interested in how far I could go, if I were an accurate shooter.
Do you think the rifle is good for this distance, given the ammo and shooter are up to par?
I honestly don't have the slightest idea.
Your take on this topic is welcome!
I just finished reading a few of Brian Litz’ books on long range shooting.

It’s a broad subject, but any halfway accurate rifle can hit things at 1000y. The question is how long the projectile remains stable and above transonic effects to do it consistently. Big drivers here are the bullet, barrel length and twist, and bullet velocity. If you have a ballistic configuration that covers those things well enough, it’s down to wind reading.

So which cartridge are you considering on the L579 and what barrel twist?

Looks like I'm a few months behind here but thought I would put in my 2 cents. I've done a bit of shooting at 1000 yds. with a Ruger 77 Hawkeye 243 and it's not that hard to do. You do need a scope that has approximately 20 MOA adjustment (mine is a Leupold 3x9 Rifleman), and decent ammo, and the ability to dope the wind. Dan Newberry from bangsteel.com runs an incredible long range shooting school, and he taught me how to shoot accurately and effectively out to 1000 yds. and beyond. He is also the inventor of the OCW (Optimal Charge Weight) method of hand loading, which is widely acclaimed.
My 2 sons, who were ages 12 and 14 at the time, were hitting 2' square steel plates at 1000 with the 243

I'm very pleased to say that I shot 300 m with ordinary S & B factory .308 ammo and hit quite good.
The rifle was a very good buy.
I still have to make time to travel to a range that offers more distance...

A .308 Sako should be as good as any sporter for 1000-yard shooting. The caliber is used by NATO for sniper rifles and the military expects a sniper rifle to be able to take out an enemy at 1000 yards. Long range shooting is best done with match bullets, which are typically on the long side to improve the ballistic coefficient. A match bullet for .308 is typically around 175 grains, as opposed to a typical hunting or infantry load of around 150 grains. The twist rate of the barrel must be appropriate for the longer bullet - the longer the bullet, the faster the twist that is required to stabilize it. S0, to determine if a particular rifle is suitable for long range shooting, try it out with long range match bullets. If it performs well at 300 yards/meters with the heavier match loads, it should be good out to 1000.

I have not shot any of my sako .243s at 1000 yards. sakos are my favorite. I did shoot one of my Remington 700 with hart barrel in .243 it only had a 1- 12 twist intended for bullets up to 95 grains. I shot 88grain bergersand did very very good at 1000 yards . with good loads the sako should do awesome.

Latest posts

Back