• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Locked bolt on L61R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bbeck

L61R .30-06 sr# 166xx
Hi Guys!

Did a search and sounds like it may be the bolt guide but not sure how to find/access it??

Bolt will not open and safety will not move either.

Thanks,
Brent

Your bolt guide retainer/spring has probably broken & allowed the guide to slide forward & catch on the forward receiver ring, not allowing the bolt to turn. You'll have to slide the guide rearward until it clears the receiver before the bolt will open. The safety won't engage because the rifle is not cocked.

Your bolt guide retainer/spring has probably broken & allowed the guide to slide forward & catch on the forward receiver ring, not allowing the bolt to turn. You'll have to slide the guide rearward until it clears the receiver before the bolt will open. The safety won't engage because the rifle is not cocked.
Where do I find the guide and what does it look like? Sorry for my ignorance!o_Oo_O

The safety appears to be forward enough and bolt handle should lift. When the safety is slid rearward to safe, a tab on the safety slide enters a slot on the bolt handle ring keeping the bolt handle from lifting. Forward movement may be restricted, thus locking the bolt handle. Assuming the chamber is empty:(, the stock would have to be removed and trigger group inspected.

Yeah unfortunately I just inherited this and not sure on chamber but will assume it's loaded. May just take it to a gunsmith. I tried using a punch to slide the guide back (I think I was doing that correctly) and it wouldn't budge. The safety wiggles a bit and that's it.

The shroud at rear of bolt would indicate that the firing pin is at rest and not setting on trigger sear. If a HOT reload was fired, it could lock the bolt from lifting up to open action. Seek a gunsmith if this makes little or no sense. ;)

Hornady factory stuff was the only thing used in it.

Attachments

• 71363548-EF52-4FB4-9F1E-F36017B6AAA0.jpeg
    71363548-EF52-4FB4-9F1E-F36017B6AAA0.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 49
  • B9429D42-87A3-45AC-AA03-8CBBC9187996.jpeg
    B9429D42-87A3-45AC-AA03-8CBBC9187996.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 48
The safety appears to be forward enough and bolt handle should lift. When the safety is slid rearward to safe, a tab on the safety slide enters a slot on the bolt handle ring keeping the bolt handle from lifting. Forward movement may be restricted, thus locking the bolt handle. Assuming the chamber is empty:(, the stock would have to be removed and trigger group inspected.

What should I be looking for with the trigger group?

Attachments

• E99C72DD-496D-4A48-993C-794736387284.jpeg
    E99C72DD-496D-4A48-993C-794736387284.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DD0291EA-0465-4C26-9066-02DACE978D0E.jpeg
    DD0291EA-0465-4C26-9066-02DACE978D0E.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 31
Got it open...used a cleaning rod to verify chamber was empty and at same time put a little pressure on bolt face while opening. With the bolt all the way out the guide spins freely around the bolt....is this normal?

Hornady factory stuff was the only thing used in it.
Not sure it is an issue, but looking at the rear of your bolt assembly, seems the firing pin release or adjustment screw is in further than any I have seen before. I checked several 579 and 61Rs I have and they are all flush. I have not needed to remove this screw during disassembly for cleaning as I can clean without and leave the adjustment per factory settings. Never had to replaced a firing pin.

I also noticed the firing pin screw. Adjusted correctly, there should be approx. .050 protrusion of the firing pin from the bolt face. The trigger assembly is attached by a pin and pivots. The trigger is adjusted by a stop screw on one side, and lock nutted screw on the forward side. If loose or mis-adjusted, could affect bolt or trigger operation. Try different ammo. A friend has a Rem. 7mm mag, and only likes Rem. brass. Anything else, the bolt locks up like yours did.

Reactions: BFK
Thanks! My Father-In-law bought it about 30 years ago and it had been re-chambered in 300 Win Mag. He had a break put on it and it's been like that every since. Has always shot sub moa with Hornady 180 gn SP's.

I suspect something may be desperately wrong with your rifle. I've never seen a firing pin adjustment so apparently far forward as yours, which would create a greatly excessive firing pin protrusion from the bolt face.

It is possible that whoever did the rechambering job made the chamber somewhat too deep and in order to get the primer to ignite had to allow the firing pin to move very far forward. This would describe an instance of very excessive headspace -- although it typically would not result in a blown case if only factory ammunition was used since the ductile new brass would likely seal the chamber without splitting or cracking. Can you show us a photo of a fired case (both in profile and of the base showing the primer) as compared to an unfired round?

Regardless of whether this theory is correct, the firing pin protrusion could be very much excessive, which by itself could cause the bolt to be difficult to open. You're probably going to need to have the rifle checked out by a competent gunsmith (but good luck finding one of those these days.)

Sure I’ll have to go look for them.....hopefully he kept some empty cases.
Cleaning firing pin now:

Attachments

• E19DC10C-2F29-4FB1-87A2-EFD6A23D8282.jpeg
    E19DC10C-2F29-4FB1-87A2-EFD6A23D8282.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 42
Unless the "lips" of the guide rod retaining collar are broken off, it is not possible for the guide rod to slip forward and lock-up the bolt. This vintage of bolt has the guide rod cross-pin, which keeps the retaining collar in it's correct position.

A picture of the firing pin protrusion would be interesting to examine.

Unless the "lips" of the guide rod retaining collar are broken off, it is not possible for the guide rod to slip forward and lock-up the bolt. This vintage of bolt has the guide rod cross-pin, which keeps the retaining collar in it's correct position.

A picture of the firing pin protrusion would be interesting to examine.

So no issues with the bolt guide you think?

I finally got the firing pin back in the bolt and in the “uncocked” position. Protrusion looks excessive to me as well as brass buildup on bolt face.

Attachments

• C3665F42-68F1-44EC-8C8B-637D458475B5.jpeg
    C3665F42-68F1-44EC-8C8B-637D458475B5.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Yes, that's excessive. You probably can find instructions on how to adjust the firing pin protrusion by doing a search of posts here on the forum. It's not difficult at all, but does require a tiny hex wrench of the right size for the lock screw in the underside of the bolt.

Thanks...right now trying to get the firing pin in the cocked position so I can get it back in the gun. Any suggestions?

I suspect something may be desperately wrong with your rifle. I've never seen a firing pin adjustment so apparently far forward as yours, which would create a greatly excessive firing pin protrusion from the bolt face.

It is possible that whoever did the rechambering job made the chamber somewhat too deep and in order to get the primer to ignite had to allow the firing pin to move very far forward. This would describe an instance of very excessive headspace -- although it typically would not result in a blown case if only factory ammunition was used since the ductile new brass would likely seal the chamber without splitting or cracking. Can you show us a photo of a fired case (both in profile and of the base showing the primer) as compared to an unfired round?

Regardless of whether this theory is correct, the firing pin protrusion could be very much excessive, which by itself could cause the bolt to be difficult to open. You're probably going to need to have the rifle checked out by a competent gunsmith (but good luck finding one of those these days.)

I was wrong 165gn not 180gn.

Probably at least 6 years worth of spent cases.....they look good to me?

Attachments

• 59E9C30A-D320-42BA-BEC3-689CC063E9DB.jpeg
    59E9C30A-D320-42BA-BEC3-689CC063E9DB.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 33
  • F1EC1C84-09AE-4FEC-ABE3-844E35DBEEBB.jpeg
    F1EC1C84-09AE-4FEC-ABE3-844E35DBEEBB.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 3F862462-F175-449C-94B8-567F355802DD.jpeg
    3F862462-F175-449C-94B8-567F355802DD.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 31
Back