• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello from the Pyrenean Mountains

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Saguaro

Hello from the Pyrenean Mountains !

I have been a happy hunter with a .308 Tikka and Lapua reloading components for years until a friend offered me a Sako L61R in the nostalgic 300 Holland and Holland in excellent shape
And since I'm in the Finland mood I'm going to go for it.

Quite eager to get familiar with the L61R and the 300 H&H and do some reloading for the local wild boar.

I hope lo learn and share with you experiences and knowledge related with this great rifles.

Best Regards !

Welcome, Saguaro.

An L61R in .300 H&H is a somewhat scarce item and is highly sought-after. You are very fortunate to obtain one and it should make an excellent game rifle.

Thank you !

Honestly I did not know a L61R in .300 H&H is somewhat scarce and I did't know anything about Sako either, sorry for my ignorance.....
I'm very content with my Tikka .308, however I wanted to try a more powerful caliber to shot heavier bullets. And casually I found this nearly new Sako L61r, it looks like it did't shoot many bullets, which is understandable since this ammunition is expensive in Spain and hunters here shoot very little thru the years ....and just happen to like rifles and reloading components from Finland so I got it for a very reasonable price
and the 300 H&H seamed a good option for many reasons and one of them is that here in Spain is an almost extinct caliber and that gives a very nice aroma of going against the current of destructive modern marketing.

I got the rifle to-day, it feels and looks just great

The new meat harvester enjoying some sunbath at the local vineyards

Attachments

• IMG-20180307-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20180307-WA0004.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 42
Saguaro,
Your .300 H&H is a beautifully customized rifle. It may or may not have an original Sako barrel which has had the barrel band sling swivel and band front sight added. Take some photos of the markings for us, will you? Regardless of its custom status, it is a beautiful rifle which should serve you well.

I would recommend either Leupold ringmounts, which are very clean and simple, or Redfield/Burris bases with turn in rings for your scope mounting. The current Sako Optilocks are somewhat heavy and are very tall, putting your scope higher above the bore than necessary.

As far as I know the only NON original items are a Recknagel barrel band sling swivel and band front sight added

Attachments

• 20180307_222807.jpg
    20180307_222807.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 17
One more pic.

The barrel looks quite original to me ....

Let me know if you feel interested about more details.

I will certainly look for Leupold ringmounts set. I wonder if i can the Leupold ringmounts used....

Attachments

• 20180307_222537.jpg
    20180307_222537.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 19
Yes, the barrel is the original Sako with the added barrel band, banded front sight, and custom rear sight. Very classy. The stock is the original from Sako which has had a contrasting fore end tip and different pad added. Quite a nice rifle.

I was told it's a H&H pad.
I hope it helps with the recoil with the 220 sierra pro hunter r.n.

Attachments

• 20180309_104709.jpg
    20180309_104709.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 12
By the way... the present avatar pic it's not me. It's a picture I took of an East Germany soldier trying to protect the first gap made in the Berlin wall jus a few days before it all came down.

Another detail. The trigger is golden colour. Is that a usual characteristic ?

I have not found yet 300H&H ammunition for this rifle in my area.
However this rifle looks so new I'm a bit reluctant to take it hunting with me to the rough mountains. I got to find a way to protect it from damage, mud, dust, branches ....

Attachments

• 20180309_130223.jpg
    20180309_130223.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yes, those will work fine. Be sure to get the "low" height for your scope without an objective bell.

I was told it's a H&H pad.
I hope it helps with the recoil with the 220 sierra pro hunter r.n.
Howdy Saguaro,
That is a neat rifle. I would say the stock has had some massive modifications to it there seems to be two seams, one vertical (towards the butt), one lengthwise. It looks like the stock was cut and massively reduced and reconfigured into a classic stalking Style.

Howdy Gowyo !

I asked the previous owner and he doesn't know who or why those modifications were done to the butt. Nevertheless, I don't know why, recoil is vey mild with this rifle.

GOWYO........""reconfigured into a classic stalking Style.....""

Excuse me my ignorance but is not this rifle is the "heavy" side for stalking

That's exactly what I have in mind with this Sako.... leather boots, cotton pants, wool jacket ... no ugly technical clothing and doing some stalking in the hills next to our town.... but at the end I may take the lighter .308

Latest posts

Back