• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello everyone! New member and Sako owner.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Yityah

I discovered this website while trying to determine what kind of rings and mounts to put on my recently purchased Finnlight 30-06. What a great website! I have a Leupold VX-3 4.5X14 40mm 1 inch diameter scope and am trying to decide if I should go ahead with the Optilock ringmounts or go with the ring and base combination. I imagine many others have had to make this same decision.
If I decide on the ring and base combination I think I can use the super low rings. If I buy the ringmounts I would use the low ones. One concern I have is how high the scope would sit on the rifle if I select the low ringmounts compared to the other ring-base option. If anyone has a similar rifle scope combination I would really appreciate your input. Pictures would be great!
Thanks, and I look forward to learning more about my new Sako from the members of this forum.

The Optilock rings are strong, and are of course are OEM Sako, but they are a good way to turn a Finnlight into a Finnheavy.

A set of "medium" Leupold ringmounts will place your 40mm objective scope just the right height above the action and will save you several ounces in added weight.

I discovered this website while trying to determine what kind of rings and mounts to put on my recently purchased Finnlight 30-06. What a great website! I have a Leupold VX-3 4.5X14 40mm 1 inch diameter scope and am trying to decide if I should go ahead with the Optilock ringmounts or go with the ring and base combination. I imagine many others have had to make this same decision.
If I decide on the ring and base combination I think I can use the super low rings. If I buy the ringmounts I would use the low ones. One concern I have is how high the scope would sit on the rifle if I select the low ringmounts compared to the other ring-base option. If anyone has a similar rifle scope combination I would really appreciate your input. Pictures would be great!
Thanks, and I look forward to learning more about my new Sako from the members of this forum.
The Optilock rings are strong, and are of course are OEM Sako, but they are a good way to turn a Finnlight into a Finnheavy.

A set of "medium" Leupold ringmounts will place your 40mm objective scope just the right height above the action and will save you several ounces in added weight.

Thank you for the advice stonecreek. I read some reviews on the Leupold rings and they were very positive.
Do you know approximately what the total difference in weight between the Leupold ringmounts pair and the Sako ringmounts pair would be?

Do you know approximately what the total difference in weight between the Leupold ringmounts pair and the Sako ringmounts pair would be?
I have some two-piece Optilock "mediums" and a set of Leupld "medium" ringmounts in my supply drawer. I weighed them on my reloading scale (piece at a time). The Optilocks weighed a total of 6.52 oz. while the Leupolds weighed 3.45 oz. In other words, the Optilocks are nearly double the weight of the Leupolds.

The difference of a bit more than three ounces doesn't sound like much (although half-again the uncooked weight of the patty on a small McDonald's hamburger), but it is a fifth of a pound, which can be felt in a light rifle.

I don't have a set of the one-piece Optilocks to compare, but assume they might be a tad lighter than the two-piece model.

I have some two-piece Optilock "mediums" and a set of Leupld "medium" ringmounts in my supply drawer. I weighed them on my reloading scale (piece at a time). The Optilocks weighed a total of 6.52 oz. while the Leupolds weighed 3.45 oz. In other words, the Optilocks are nearly double the weight of the Leupolds.

The difference of a bit more than three ounces doesn't sound like much (although half-again the uncooked weight of the patty on a small McDonald's hamburger), but it is a fifth of a pound, which can be felt in a light rifle.

I don't have a set of the one-piece Optilocks to compare, but assume they might be a tad lighter than the two-piece model.

Thank you for checking on this Stonecreek. Do you or anyone know what the scope height difference (measured from the top of the base to the center of the ring) would be between the Optilock low ringmounts and the and the Leupold medium ringmounts? I would like to keep the scope as low as possible.

Thank you for checking on this Stonecreek. Do you or anyone know what the scope height difference (measured from the top of the base to the center of the ring) would be between the Optilock low ringmounts and the and the Leupold medium ringmounts? I would like to keep the scope as low as possible.
Both the Sako & Leupold websites give the specs on their rings, which includes ring height. Leupold gives the height from bottom of ring mount to center of ring, so subtract .5" to get clearance distance. Sako actually shows diagrams giving all the measurements. The Optilocks aren't conducive to the "low as possible" mounting you desire. If you buy the medium Leupolds you will get what you are trying to achieve.

Thank you for the advice everyone.
Ordered Leupold Sako matte medium ringmounts (54409) from OpticsPlanet. They had them in stock and at a very fair price. I ordered by phone and they lowered their price from the advertised price which was even better. Looking forward to mounting the scope!

Thank you for the advice everyone.
Ordered Leupold Sako matte medium ringmounts (54409) from OpticsPlanet. They had them in stock and at a very fair price. I ordered by phone and they lowered their price from the advertised price which was even better. Looking forward to mounting the scope!

That's great to know, man. You bagged a nice deal.

Back