• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Long stocked mannlicher??

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ardeekay

I am looking at a L579 with a 1 piece stock, (mannlicher) it has a 22" bbl., ser. # in the 10,xxx range. How rare are these?? The one I have now has a 2 piece stock w/bbl. band.

I will try.. OK, I found 3 nice shots of the rifle, how does one put pics on here... I don't see 'attach' anywhere.....

Here's a couple of pics... I heard of one years and years ago that had a one piece stock, but never saw one. I ended up buying this rifle.. I am taking the 'silly' mounts off and scope as you read this.. will put on something authentic..

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 116
Usually, you'll want to post a link from a photo hosting site, like Snapfish or the like. I have had difficulty doing so, however, so I post from my computer drive. Look down to the right next to where it says, "Post Reply" and you'll see an "Upload a File" button. Click on it. Locate your photo on your drive and then click "Choose." It will upload the file. You'll be given the option to upload as a thumbnail or full size image. Either will suffice as members can click on the thumbnail in your post and it will supersize the image. Once you've uploaded the photo, hit the "Post Reply" button and Presto Magico, you're in beeswax!

Ha! Well, ya got it figured out while I was typing my instruction.

Anyway, I am not one of the experts here, but what is different by my reckoning, aside from the one-piece stock (I, too, have only seen the two-piece), is the trigger guard mag release. I have an Interterms Mannlicher Mark X that looks exactly like your rifle, except for the action.

Are there any other Maker's marks to be found on the rifle?

Your pics don't really show us anything. Pics of the buttplate & barrel stampings would allow members to better determine what you have. The barrel should be measured from bolt face to muzzle using a cleaning rod.

Usually, you'll want to post a link from a photo hosting site, like Snapfish or the like. I have had difficulty doing so, however, so I post from my computer drive. Look down to the right next to where it says, "Post Reply" and you'll see an "Upload a File" button. Click on it. Locate your photo on your drive and then click "Choose." It will upload the file. You'll be given the option to upload as a thumbnail or full size image. Either will suffice as members can click on the thumbnail in your post and it will supersize the image. Once you've uploaded the photo, hit the "Post Reply" button and Presto Magico, you're in beeswax!
Here are some more shots... I lied (sorta) the bbl is closer to 23" it says " Forester made in Finnland" on one side,... "Bofors Steel" on the other 001.JPG 001.JPG

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 56
Your barrel is factory & the muzzle cap appears to be identical to other Sako Mannlinchers. If your buttplate is also Sako then it seems that you have made a very rare find as the checkering & shape look Sako as well. Thanks for sharing.

I won't say that full stock Sakos are "scarce" and certainly not "rare", but they are sought-after and can be hard to come by. When they do show up on the market they tend to stir a lot of buyer interest and bring a premium price.

I'd say that 90% of the L579 Mannlichers (yes, Sako itself called their full stock rifles "Mannlicher" after the most famous of the full stock rifles) were made with 20" barrels, most with two-piece forestocks. The other 10% or so had 22.83" (580mm) barrels. So, among Sako Mannlichers, the rifle you picture can be categorized as at least "scarce" and more probably "rare".

004.JPG
here's the buttplate..
Sorry... I'm not good at this... thats the front end, here's the buttplate..... I think...
I won't say that full stock Sakos are "scarce" and certainly not "rare", but they are sought-after and can be hard to come by. When they do show up on the market they tend to stir a lot of buyer interest and bring a premium price.

I'd say that 90% of the L579 Mannlichers (yes, Sako itself called their full stock rifles "Mannlicher" after the most famous of the full stock rifles) were made with 20" barrels, most with two-piece forestocks. The other 10% or so had 22.83" (580mm) barrels. So, among Sako Mannlichers, the rifle you picture can be categorized as at least "scarce" and more probably "rare".
Thanks for the input... back in the 70's, I worked with a guy that was a sako mannlicher 'expert' ( at that time.. he had 3, his favorite was a .243 that he used to take elk, deer, and once a cow moose in canada ) he was hunting with locals up there, and did his part for a meat hunt... Anyway, he always talked about some guy he knew that had a Sako with a 1 piece stock... and it pissed him off that the guy would not sell it to him !! So, I've had a few mannlichers over the years, and along came this one, and I knew it was different.... so I grabbed it... ( just this morning..) The story I got, is that he bought it a year or so ago, from an estate, it was supposed to be unfired, and it looks that way. So he sighted it in, scoped it .. with Leupold mnts., and went out to Ala. and shot a nice whitetail....along came me, and he was tired of the rifle, so I picked it up, and am HAPPY... its not 'virgin' anymore, since he fired it, so I am going to run some loads thru it and see if its "sako accurate" thanks to all again for the imput, I think I got a Rare rifle, I am going to baby it, and see what it'll do... Bob ( ardeekay)

Update.... Thank you all for the info and input... I took the rifle 'upnorth' and shot it with a bunch of handloads... and quality factory loads... the best it would do is 1.5 moa... thats not good enough for me, and I sold it... at a gun show... Sako mannlichers will never be 'target guns'... ( most of them) . This rifle was unique and rare, and the buyer, I'm sure was not interested in group size.... I watched him walk away, and he was cradeling it like a newborn son.... it included a Sako peep sight, and extra set of rings... and I slapped on it a old scope that was appropriate for that age of rifle... Hope it has a good home... thanks all of you again for the advice... Bob

I'm late to the party, seeing this thread for the first time. I've got an idea about the rifle. If you look closely at the photos, it appears that there is a joint in the stock just ahead of the front sling swivel, as if the stock were made by joining two pieces of wood rather than simply turned out of a single piece. Note the vertical line and the sharp change in the grain. Also, the finish is not typical of an L579. I have an L579 in .308 with a 2-piece rifle-length Mannlicher-style stock, and it has a darkish stain and the finish is nowhere near as good as on the gun in the photo. I am thinking that this could have been built as a custom piece, taking the original two-piece stock and joining the two pieces into one (or fabricating a new front piece), eliminating the barrel band. The builder then sanded off the stain and refinished the stock in a high-quality oil finish, either tung oil or linseed. This process would have preserved the original shape and checkering. Of course, this could also have been a factory one-off or limited production item - but it looks like a very subtle and well-done custom to me. I have done some custom stock work and it looks to me like something I would build if my skills were that good - which they aren't! Of course, this is only speculation - without the gun in hand, it is impossible to be sure.

I'm late to the party, seeing this thread for the first time. I've got an idea about the rifle. If you look closely at the photos, it appears that there is a joint in the stock just ahead of the front sling swivel, as if the stock were made by joining two pieces of wood rather than simply turned out of a single piece. Note the vertical line and the sharp change in the grain. Also, the finish is not typical of an L579. I have an L579 in .308 with a 2-piece rifle-length Mannlicher-style stock, and it has a darkish stain and the finish is nowhere near as good as on the gun in the photo. I am thinking that this could have been built as a custom piece, taking the original two-piece stock and joining the two pieces into one (or fabricating a new front piece), eliminating the barrel band. The builder then sanded off the stain and refinished the stock in a high-quality oil finish, either tung oil or linseed. This process would have preserved the original shape and checkering. Of course, this could also have been a factory one-off or limited production item - but it looks like a very subtle and well-done custom to me. I have done some custom stock work and it looks to me like something I would build if my skills were that good - which they aren't! Of course, this is only speculation - without the gun in hand, it is impossible to be sure.
..Ice bear... its a Factory Sako... thank you for your speculation, I had the rifle, there is no 'joint' that you speak of. If you do your research, there are some 23" one piece mannlichers out there

Ice bear... It is a Factory Sako.. I had the rifle in my hands, both stocked, and taken apart... there is no 'joint' in the wood. If you do your research, they did in fact make a few with the 23" bbl. and in mannlicher configuration.. they also made some with 2 piece stocks they had a barrel band.. also 1 piece with bbl. band... thank you for your opinion... Bob

Attachments

• sako mann 010.JPG
    sako mann 010.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 31
  • sako mann 004.JPG
    sako mann 004.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 31
Back