• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

AI and Optilocks

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

antsa

Just purchased a AI .222, serial no. 80xxxx. Waiting on the transfer paperwork to be processed by the Police before I can take possession (that's the way it works here in South Australia).

My plan is to mount a 2-10x32 scope with a 30mm tube on it. Was thinking of using Optilock one-piece ringmounts. The height of the low 30mm mount from the bottom to the scope centre-line is 29mm. The diameter of the ocular is about 46mm. Wondering if there is any risk of the bolt handle hitting the scope?

I have rings and bases on my Sako 85's but have never used the one-piece mounts before. Is the forward mount positioned in the same way as with a base - in line with the ejection port - or further forward?

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Even the "low" Optilock rings are very (in my opinion, excessively) tall. You'll have no problem with bolt or barrel clearance with a scope with an outside bell diameter of 46mm.

However, assuming your A-I is a sporter, it would seem a shame to burden such a light and trim rifle with mounts as heavy and bulky as the Optilocks. Why don't you try a set of the sleek and simple Leupold ringmounts instead? If your A-I is a heavy barrel then the weight of the Optilocks is not an issue.

Even the "low" Optilock rings are very (in my opinion, excessively) tall. You'll have no problem with bolt or barrel clearance with a scope with an outside bell diameter of 46mm.

However, assuming your A-I is a sporter, it would seem a shame to burden such a light and trim rifle with mounts as heavy and bulky as the Optilocks. Why don't you try a set of the sleek and simple Leupold ringmounts instead? If your A-I is a heavy barrel then the weight of the Optilocks is not an issue.

Thanks SC, It's a sporter. Will shop around for the Loopies and check them out

Cheers

Hey antsa, I have an A1 .222 sporter with 4-12x42 Lynx in Leupold ringmounts which just clears the barrel and bolt handle - definately recommend looking into them for your application.

Where in South Aus are you? I'm just over the border near Hamilton.

Marcus

Hey antsa, I have an A1 .222 sporter with 4-12x42 Lynx in Leupold ringmounts which just clears the barrel and bolt handle - definately recommend looking into them for your application.

Where in South Aus are you? I'm just over the border near Hamilton.

Marcus

Hello Marcus

I'm south of Adelaide on the Fleurieu Peninsula in the southern Mount Lofty Ranges. I've been reading your various posts on your 20-222 on different forums. Must say that they inspired me to look for an older Sako and go down the same path. As told, I found a nice AI pretty close to home. Waiting for the paperwork here in SA to go through. It's in very good nick and I'm not sure that I will want to re-barrel.
Will gladly tap your wealth of knowledge if I do ;).

Thanks for the scope info

Cheers

A

Latest posts

Back