• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Old Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Recently my brother in law passed away and I got his guns. One which I have lusted after is a Sako L579 Forester HB that he bought in the mid 1960's when he was in NJ working for Bell Labs. He shot it a few times in an indoor range and then put it away and never shot it again. It has a Lyman Super Target Spot scope ( 24 inches long ! ) on it/ horned mounts and Bofors on the barrel. It looks like new . It is in .243. Any idea as to value ? No I'm not letting it go and it will stay in the family.

As a matter of how we operate most of us avoid putting a value on any Sako rifles that are brought to our attention for that purpose. Your best bet is to take a look at GunBroker, Guns International and Cabelas Gun Room to get an idea of the value. As a new member to our site we would like to encourage you to post some pics of the rifle and any other Sako rifles you own. We like to share that information as much as possible. Thanks and enjoy the site and the information found here.

rick

Value is subjective & I think you will find that most here are reluctant to appraise rifles, sight unseen over the internet. It would be like appraising your car, sight unseen, based on a few sentences. You can easily find what the asking & selling prices are for a comparable rifle on one of the many gun sale/auction sites. Or better yet, make a little effort & search our forum to get a better perspective on what you have & the value will be more easily apparent to you. Vast amount of knowledge here at your fingertips, if you will just look!! We are not a free appraisal service for first time posters, but rather a club that shares our enjoyment of Sako rifles. If all you care about is what it is worth, you are missing the whole point of owning such a fine old Sako. Hope you stick around & become a Sako enthusiast!!

Value is subjective & I think you will find that most here are reluctant to appraise rifles, sight unseen over the internet. It would be like appraising your car, sight unseen, based on a few sentences. You can easily find what the asking & selling prices are for a comparable rifle on one of the many gun sale/auction sites. Or better yet, make a little effort & search our forum to get a better perspective on what you have & the value will be more easily apparent to you. Vast amount of knowledge here at your fingertips, if you will just look!! We are not a free appraisal service for first time posters, but rather a club that shares our enjoyment of Sako rifles. If all you care about is what it is worth, you are missing the whole point of owning such a fine old Sako. Hope you stick around & become a Sako enthusiast!!

I have always loved Sako rifles. Since I just sighned up on here I thought I would ask the value to just get started talking to Sako lovers. I have been into gunsmith work in my younger years and shot Bullseye in the late '60's and early '70's. I worked for a large retail sporting goods store in Peoria, IL and ran the gun department for a few years also.
Thanks for replying to my post and setting me straight on what I might post.
I have already been to Armslist and Gunbroker. I just thought I might get a better idea of what you guys thought the best value was, just for me. I'm not selling any guns. They all will go to my son when I'm gone.
Thanks,
Bob

Hi Robert

It isn't that we have rules that govern the kind of questions our members can ask. It is just that we can't really offer a valuation service for Sako rifles and other Sako things. We are very careful not to get into that business because we would be overwhelmed by people asking us how much is it worth and that would cause the value of information presented here to be overwhelmed and diluted. In short we wouldn't get much else done but asking for pics and guessing at what something is worth. As for me I try to discourage such questions coming from new members and I also ask our members new and old not to get into the business of answering questions like that. There just isn't an upside to engaging in that activity. I sincerely hope that you understand. Can't wait to see the pics when you get your new rifle.

rick

Hi Robert

It isn't that we have rules that govern the kind of questions our members can ask. It is just that we can't really offer a valuation service for Sako rifles and other Sako things. We are very careful not to get into that business because we would be overwhelmed by people asking us how much is it worth and that would cause the value of information presented here to be overwhelmed and diluted. In short we wouldn't get much else done but asking for pics and guessing at what something is worth. As for me I try to discourage such questions coming from new members and I also ask our members new and old not to get into the business of answering questions like that. There just isn't an upside to engaging in that activity. I sincerely hope that you understand. Can't wait to see the pics when you get your new rifle.

rick
Thanks for the heads up. I had just got on the site and thought I'd ask.....View attachment upload_2017-6-20_17-9-42.jpeg

That's a real beauty. The old Lyman, Unertl, Redfield, and Bausch & Lomb spring-mounted target scopes maintain a strong following and are always an asset when mounted on a nice rifle. Of course, such mounts require drilling and tapping, which for some devalues a Sako to some extent. However, your rifle is an early L579 (as evidenced by its magazine release and grip cap), which makes it even more desirable. Since it is just a matter of curiosity and not for "market making" purposes, I think you could reasonably expect your rifle/scope combo to bring somewhere in the low to mid teens if you were to offer it on the market.

That's a real beauty. The old Lyman, Unertl, Redfield, and Bausch & Lomb spring-mounted target scopes maintain a strong following and are always an asset when mounted on a nice rifle. Of course, such mounts require drilling and tapping, which for some devalues a Sako to some extent. However, your rifle is an early L579 (as evidenced by its magazine release and grip cap), which makes it even more desirable. Since it is just a matter of curiosity and not for "market making" purposes, I think you could reasonably expect your rifle/scope combo to bring somewhere in the low to mid teens if you were to offer it on the market.

Thats what I thought ,price wise but it will never leave my safe unless I am going to the range. It doesn't have a nick or scratch on it through all these years. My brother in law just shot it at a range when he bough it and never again. He was in the Marine corps and he ran the skeet range down at Cherry Point Marine air near Jacksonville , FL. That Sako just traveled with him until he passed this last December. Believe it or not no one in his family wanted any of the guns he had. SO I GRABBED THEM !!! LOL upload_2017-6-20_18-55-56.jpeg

Back