• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 8x60

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

topgear

Sako-addicted
Hi Guys

In the famous Rock Island Auction it was stated that there was only three 8x60 sako mausers produced.

sako8x60.JPG

Pretty easily I can find four for sale at present.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sako-Mauser-x/1392362.uts

http://www.laatuase.fi/index.php?pr...lypage_new.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/node/16980

http://ase-ami.fi/?item=477

So did they get this wrong in regards to production numbers on the 8x60? or have I just found the only three factory produced 8x60 and one re-barrel ? :p

Must say their not a bad looking rifle these old sako mausers.

topgear, there are several erroneous statements in that catalog.

I have owned another 8x60 and they pop up ever so often here in Sweden.

Jim

As Jim says, simply an erroneous statement in the catalog (one among others).

I notice that two of the rifles in the links have wing safeties in the usual place on the left, but two of them have the wing safety in a somewhat unusual place on the right. I can't recall ever seeing this RH wing safety on a Sako-Mauser previously (but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.)

I've been led to believe that although Sako simply stamped these "8x60" that they are actually the 8x60S, with a .323" bore. Does anyone know for certain? By the way, I found a box of new, unfired Norma 8x60S brass at a local gun show a little while back which I bought for five bucks. I have no 8x60 to use it in, but who can pass up a deal like that?

As Jim says, simply an erroneous statement in the catalog (one among others).

I've been led to believe that although Sako simply stamped these "8x60" that they are actually the 8x60S, with a .323" bore. Does anyone know for certain? By the way, I found a box of new, unfired Norma 8x60S brass at a local gun show a little while back which I bought for five bucks. I have no 8x60 to use it in, but who can pass up a deal like that?

Yes the 8x60 was chambered in both 'S' and 'J' bore.
Maybe the 'S' bore is not as common mostly found in the US, and most of what you see in Scandinavia is the 'J' bore.
Do not believe everything you read about doing lead casts etc, just measure your bore groove diameter with a good set of verniers.

L-46

L46: Were the Sako 8x60 and 8x60S marked differently, or do you just have to measure the bore to determine which you have? U.S. sellers are not particularly sophisticated about European metric cartridge designations and all of the (few) Sako's I've seen listed for sale -- but never seen in person -- have just been represented as "8x60" -- although they might have had an "s" appended but not mentioned by the clueless seller.

Do you know if Sako ever built an 8x60 of either type on the L61R action? I suspect that they did; whether they were ever put into commercial distribution is another question.

SC,
I am far from versed with the Hi power's, only from what i have seen over the years. We have the odd 270 here and a few odd ones pop up every 5 years or so.
I have never handled an 8x60 in 'S' bore, but from what i have been told over the years neither where stamped to indicate bore size. Both 8x60 'J' bores i have owned at different times, did not show any different.
If i remember correctly, i formed the cases from 30-06 brass in two easy steps.
As we know the 'J' bore came from the strong German influence and continued into this model for what ever reason.
I different countries people shared their patriotism in different ways, i can see that in Finland, post war, anything military based or of origin shared an elevated potential. Where as in Australia anyone owning a service rifle for hunting was to poor to afford anything better.
I have never seen an 8x60 in a L61, but they did produce some small numbers of odd calibres.
Jim will know more on this.
I was also thinking it interesting that at this time, Sako was chambering rifles in 8x54R, 8x57, 8x60J, 8x60S, just in 8mm!

L-46

I'll agree that's a cool caliber, and not often seen. I still wonder whether these have a .318" or .323" bore? I guess that I could buy it and find out, but that's an expensive way to satisfy one's curiosity:confused:.

Browne: I also noticed the Timney mark on the safety. IIRC, Timney offered a replacement safety for FN Mausers (and maybe any 98 Mauser) which switched the safety from the LH side to the RH side and also allowed lower scope mounting in some cases.

Early Sako-Mausers like this one used an FN action with the conventional firing pin safety on the bolt. Later Sako-Mausers used the Sako #4 trigger with its sliding thumb safety that blocks the trigger rather than the firing pin. So, this particular rifle appears to be an earlier Sako-Mauser on which the factory safety has been replaced with a Timney safety. Whether the trigger was also replaced is unknown.

Having a replacement safety somewhat damages the originality of the rifle, but since its condition is "shooter" grade rather than "collector" grade, anyway, that shouldn't make much difference.

I still wonder whether these have a .318" or .323" bore? I guess that I could buy it and find out, but that's an expensive way to satisfy one's curiosity:confused:.

Well haven't heard that one before as an excuse for a rifle purchase:p will have to include it on my list too!

Well haven't heard that one before as an excuse for a rifle purchase:p will have to include it on my list too!
"But honey, you just don't realize how important that .005" difference is. Eight Hundred bucks or so is a very reasonable price to find out."

Somehow, I'm not sure that one would fly with the lady of the house.

I have no experience with the 8mm how ever Cartridges of the World, 13th addition, lists both rimmed and rimless variations along with .318 and .323 bores. Factory loads and brass are still available - Norma and RWS. :) Looks to be a real boomer however.

Latest posts

Back