• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Who's got a Lilja Barrel on their QUAD?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

thwackkk

Give us all a look....

How do you like it?

How's Accuracy?

I'm looking to buy Sporter 17M2 barrel, and a Heavy .22lr Barrel very soon.

Give us all a look....

How do you like it?

How's Accuracy?

I'm looking to buy Sporter 17M2 barrel, and a Heavy .22lr Barrel very soon.
I have 21", .900" O.D. Lilja barrels in .22LR and .17HMR for my recently-acquired euroOptic Sako Quad Special Edition, but I've only shot the .22LR. As the rifle came with the Lilja barrels I can't provide an accuracy comparison between the factory barrels and the Lilja barrels. and even if I could, one guy with one rifle, two factory barrels, and two aftermarket barrels is much too small a sample to be a solid representation. That said, when my follow-through is correct, under light wind conditions, sub-MOA accuracy is possible, if not probable. I've only shot my Quad SE three (3) times now, but sub-MOA five-shot groups at 100 and disintegration of quarter-size pieces of clay pigeon at 300 yards aren't uncommon when I do everything just right. And that's with 40gr. Wolf MT and 40gr. SK Standard Plus - not "premium" ammo.

NOTES: Lilja "Drop-In".22LR barrels for the Sako Quad have a Bentz Chamber, so unlike factory Quad barrels the rear of the chamber isn't relieved to aid feeding. Because of this, .22LR bullets will often contact the edge of the chamber between approximately 7 and 5 'O Clock, shaving the lead off of the bullet. This can't help accuracy, so in order to reduce bullet deformation/damage on the way in I used very fine Cratex abrasive bits to slightly relieve the rear of the chamber between 5 and 7 "O Clock. I have 5-round and 10-round .22LR magazines, and .22LR bullets feed a lot better than before, but not perfectly. Bullets are still shaved-down occasionally, but I'll live with it as I'm getting excellent accuracy and I don't want to remove too much material (and possibly compromise case head support). I've haven't fired any .17HMR so I can't comment on .17HMR feeding.

Also, I realize that I've replied to a thread whose original post was five (5) years ago, and that the only reply to the original post was 4.5 years ago, so the questions by the original poster and the Member who posted in the thread subsequently have probably long since been answered. However, since no one at all replied to their questions at all in five years, the questions are legitimate, and that Lilja Quad barrels cost more than $400.00 PLUS shipping and .22LR bullets can deform during chambering I figure my post is warranted.

Lilja .22LR and .17HMR barrels of euroOptic Sako Quad Special Edition:
Aries64 EO Sako Quad Lilja .22LR Barrel Engravings 8x6.JPG Aries64 EO Sako Quad Lilja .17HMR Barrel Engravings 8x6.jpg

Keith

I have 21", .900" O.D. Lilja barrels in .22LR and .17HMR for my recently-acquired euroOptic Sako Quad Special Edition, but I've only shot the .22LR. As the rifle came with the Lilja barrels I can't provide an accuracy comparison between the factory barrels and the Lilja barrels. and even if I could, one guy with one rifle, two factory barrels, and two aftermarket barrels is much too small a sample to be a solid representation. That said, when my follow-through is correct, under light wind conditions, sub-MOA accuracy is possible, if not probable. I've only shot my Quad SE three (3) times now, but sub-MOA five-shot groups at 100 and disintegration of quarter-size pieces of clay pigeon at 300 yards aren't uncommon when I do everything just right. And that's with 40gr. Wolf MT and 40gr. SK Standard Plus - not "premium" ammo.

NOTES: Lilja "Drop-In".22LR barrels for the Sako Quad have a Bentz Chamber, so unlike factory Quad barrels the rear of the chamber isn't relieved to aid feeding. Because of this, .22LR bullets will often contact the edge of the chamber between approximately 7 and 5 'O Clock, shaving the lead off of the bullet. This can't help accuracy, so in order to reduce bullet deformation/damage on the way in I used very fine Cratex abrasive bits to slightly relieve the rear of the chamber between 5 and 7 "O Clock. I have 5-round and 10-round .22LR magazines, and .22LR bullets feed a lot better than before, but not perfectly. Bullets are still shaved-down occasionally, but I'll live with it as I'm getting excellent accuracy and I don't want to remove too much material (and possibly compromise case head support). I've haven't fired any .17HMR so I can't comment on .17HMR feeding.

Also, I realize that I've replied to a thread whose original post was five (5) years ago, and that the only reply to the original post was 4.5 years ago, so the questions by the original poster and the Member who posted in the thread subsequently have probably long since been answered. However, since no one at all replied to their questions at all in five years, the questions are legitimate, and that Lilja Quad barrels cost more than $400.00 PLUS shipping and .22LR bullets can deform during chambering I figure my post is warranted.

Lilja .22LR and .17HMR barrels of euroOptic Sako Quad Special Edition:
View attachment 10042 View attachment 10043

Keith
keith. love to see a photo of the whole rifle. plenty of quads down here in australia but not seen one using that name.
susanna

Hi Susanna -

euroOptic is a company in Montoursville, Pennsylvania (USA), that specializes in high-end firearms, optics, and accessories. They sell new and used, and take trade-ins as well. Alex Roy and Jason Baney there are great to work with. Anyway, in 2012 euroOptic commissioned 49 rifles to be built on Sako Quad actions - mine is #6 of 49, and an engraving on the left side of the receiver denotes this. I love my euroOptic Sako Quad SE and would like to post all the photos I have in high-resolution, but Forum rules prohibit more than 4 photos in a thread, and a maximum of 800x600dpi, so I'll post some of my favorites. Here are four:

euroOptic Sako Quad Special Edition:

PMII 5-25X[56] on top of 45MOA Murphy Precision Titanium Rail:

Keith

Last edited:
Fantastic precision trainer!
Which stock is that?
I apologize for my very late reply, (this question was asked 14.5 months ago), but just-in-case you haven't figured it out, the stock is a McMillan A3 with molded-in colors, KMW Adjustable Cheekpiece, and McMillan's Spacer System LOP (Length-of-Pull). On the bottom of the stock is a 10" Anschutz Rail which an ACCU-SHOT BT28 Picatinny Rail resides in to accommodate QD bipod adapters. The left side of the stock has a pair of Flush Cup Sling Swivel Mounts.

Something that's hard to see from the photos for even a practiced eye thoroughly familiar with McMillan stocks is that the cheekpiece height adjustment is the KMW ACH (Adjustable Cheekpiece Hardware), which is both mechanically and aesthetically superior to any of the McMillan ACH systems - including McMillan's "Single Screw Clampbar". The "problem" with the KMW ACH is that McMillan doesn't install it, so the KMW ACH must be installed after McMillan has built in, adding a few weeks to your wait..

However, having owned, shot, and/or handled rifles with McMillan A2, A3, A4, A5, and A3-5 stocks with the McMillan Thumbwheel, Clampbar, Single Screw Clampbar, Saddle, and Integral, ACHs' I can personally attest to the additional wait being well worth the additional wait.

For information about which McMillan stocks are inletted for the Sako Quad, as well as which McMillan stocks are available molded in two pieces to facilitate installation of the KMW ACH please see my reply to "smoketrail"'s "Sako Quad aftermarket stocks" thread:

http://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-quad-after-market-stocks.7762/

To close this out, and in attempt to keep the anyone interested in what makes the KMW ACH superior to McMillan's ACHs' and wants info on how to correctly order a McMillan stock for use with the KMW Inlet can email me at [email protected]. Below are some closeups of the KMW ACH installed in the buttstock of the A3 of my Quad. Note the flush-fit of the Adjustment Screw and Post Clampbar (in the buttstock), as well as the flush-fit Post Base.

Right side closeup of flush-fit KMW Post Clampbar, "Height-Retention" E-Clip, and Adjustment Screw:

Left side closeup showing flush-fit KMW Post Clampbar, "Height-Retention" E-Clip, and Adjustment Screw:

Flush-fit KMW Post Base in Cheekpiece:

Closeup of flush-fit KMW Post Clampbar in Buttstock:

Keith

Last edited:
I have a .22LR Lilja heavy barrel. If you select your batches for the best accuracy, I would say the accuracy is the same as the Sako H.B. But if you expect for keeping the same point of impact with different ammunition, the Lilja is better, this is the only difference. Since heavier barrel doesnt mean better accuracy on this rifle because of the fixture system, I would choose a lighter contour (varmint Sundberg taper).

I too have one of the euroOptic Special Edition rifles. #10 which is fitted with a McMillan A5 stock and the Lilja 22 HB. Carsen has agreed to make me another bbl in 17M2 this winter. This rifle shoots on par with some of my Win 52 tgt rifles as well as a VuDoo that my local match director shoots. That is to say with Lapua CX at 50y from a bench it puts most of the shots in the 10ring. My last match scored 249/19x and 250/12x at 50y to win both relays. I attached a shot of some early groups that it shot while I was still testing ammo and tuning. I don't have a great pic but will post what I have.

Quad Lilja Tactical.jpg Quad 50y 6x5 Lapua CX 26spd.jpg Sako Quad Lilja Tactical.jpg

Back